Mayawati silent on Sangma’s bid at presidencyMay 19th, 2012 - 9:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 19 (IANS) Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) chief Mayawati Saturday skirted a question on her party supporting the candidature of former Lok Sabha speaker P.A. Sangma for the presidency. The Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) leader’s name has been put forward by Orissa Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik and his Tamil Nadu counterpart J. Jayalalithaa.
Responding to the question by reporters, the former Uttar Pradesh chief minister said she had been reading about this in newspapers and hearing from reporters and had no personal knowledge about it.
“I’m reading it in newspapers and hearing about it from you,” Mayawati said.
She said her party would support only that candidate who, in its assessment, would be suitable for the Bahujan Samaj movement.
Mayawati said as of now, the situation is far from clear for her party to make public its stand. She said once the situation crystallised, she would unveil the party’s stand.
Patnaik and Jayalalithaa Thursday backed the former Lok Sabha Speaker for the presidency, giving a new twist to an election in which the Congress and the BJP have not revealed their cards.
Sangma’s pitch for a tribal candidate found support first from Biju Janata Dal (BJD) leader Patnaik and the AIADMK’s Jayalalithaa, in a move which could see more regional leaders join hands with the two.
Sangma is, however, yet to get the support of his own party. The Congress did not react Thursday to the move by the BJD and the AIADMK while the BJP said it wanted to see the NCP’s reaction.
“We will support Sangma. He is the most appropriate candidate for the post,” Patnaik said in Bhubaneswar Thursday. Jayalalithaa too issued a statement in Chennai backing Sangma.
Sangma had quit the Congress in 1999 after calling party president Sonia Gandhi a “foreigner”.
President Pratibha Patil’s five-year term ends in July and the presidential election is to be held to elect her successor.
- Sangma pushes himself for president - May 22, 2012
- BJD, AIADMK back Sangma for presidency (Intro Roundup) - May 17, 2012
- BJD, AIADMK back Sagma for president (Roundup) - May 17, 2012
- President should be from tribal community: Sangma - May 17, 2012
- BJD backs Sangma for president - May 17, 2012
- Became a presidential candidate incidentally, says Sangma - May 26, 2012
- Sangma's daughter skips NCP meet - Jun 21, 2012
- Sangma seeks support, not many takers (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- Consensus growing in favour of Pranab (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Pranab all set for Rashtrapati Bhavan (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2012
- Sangma is candidate of communal forces: NCP - Jun 21, 2012
- Presidential poll: Jayalalithaa garners support for Sangma - May 20, 2012
- Will decide on Sangma after consultations: Advani - Jun 15, 2012
- Patnaik leaves for Delhi to back Sangma - Jun 27, 2012
- NCP cautions Sangma, hints of action - Jun 16, 2012
Tags: aiadmk, bjp, candidature, chief minister, counterpart, foreigner, j jayalalithaa, janata, Lok Sabha, nationalist congress party, naveen patnaik, ncp, new twist, orissa, party president, personal knowledge, presidential election, regional leaders, sonia gandhi, uttar pradesh