Mayawati pulls down her own statue, finds it too smallJune 2nd, 2008 - 11:52 am ICT by admin
Lucknow, June 2 (IANS) A statue of Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati has been removed from a prominent location by the authorities here barely 45 days after she unveiled it, officials said. She wants a bigger statue of herself in its place. The operation to remove the bronze statue was carried out late Sunday with lights in the vicinity switched off.
“The chief minister did not like the statue. The sculpture will soon be replaced by a bigger one,” an official told IANS on condition of anonymity.
Officials said Mayawati was not happy with the quality of the sculpture. She had also expressed her displeasure over the fact that it was smaller than the statue of her political mentor Kanshi Ram.
The two statues were installed side by side at the start of Mayawati’s dream project - the Rs.5 billion Ambedkar Park in Lucknow’s posh Gomti Nagar.
Across the road are statues of her Bahujan Samaj Party’s (BSP) most revered icon Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar and his wife Rama Bai Ambedkar.
The four statues were unveiled simultaneously April 14 - Ambedkar’s birth anniversary.
- Finally, covers go off Mayawati statues (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Finally, veils go off Mayawati statues (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Finally, veils to go off Mayawati statues - Mar 04, 2012
- With SP's return, Mulayam's pet projects return - Mar 07, 2012
- Mayawati issues full-page Buddha Purnima ads in 150 dailies - May 17, 2011
- Mayawati opens Ambedkar statues - Dec 06, 2010
- Mayawati paints Lucknow blue for Ambedkar anniversary - Apr 13, 2010
- Mayawati allocates Rs.500 crore more for parks, memorials - Aug 10, 2010
- PM's, Mayawati's letters read out in Uttar Pradesh schools - Nov 11, 2011
- Mayawati unveils two statues of B. R. Ambedkar on his 54th death anniversary - Dec 06, 2010
- Mayawati's yes for special force for statues, memorials - May 24, 2010
- Mayawati demands Rs 27 crore for new statues - Aug 03, 2009
- Mayawati paints Lucknow BSP blue on her birthday - Jan 15, 2010
- Mayawati plays Dalit card to defend spending on memorials - Dec 29, 2008
- A bridge that cannot satisfy Mayawati's whims? - Mar 30, 2010
Tags: anonymity, april 14, authorities, bahujan samaj party, bai, birth anniversary, bronze statue, chief minister, displeasure, dream project, gomti nagar, Mayawati, political mentor, rama, sculpture, statues, vicinity