Mayawati orders CBI probe into medical officer’s death (Lead)July 13th, 2011 - 8:36 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 13 (IANS) A day before the Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court is to pronounce its judgement on the plea for a CBI probe into the death of a medical officer, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati announced her decision to hand over the probe to the Central Bureau of Investigation.
An official statement to this effect was issued by the state government Wednesday evening.
“When the family of the deceased doctor is keen on having the investigation carried out by CBI, then why should my government have any objection to it,” said Mayawati in the statement.
Deputy chief medical officer Y.S. Sachan was found dead in Lucknow district jail hospital on June 22. His family has demanded a CBI probe.
A division bench of Justice Pradeep Kant and Justice Ritu Raj Awasthi Tuesday reserved judgment on a petition filed by journalist Sachidanand Gupta.
Sachan’s family has moved the Supreme Court seeking a CBI probe.
Sachan was the prime accused in chief medical officer B.P. Singh’s murder. He was found dead just a day before he was to be taken to court with the other three accused - Ram Krishna Verma, Anand Tewari and Vinod Sharma.
- Court verdict on CBI probe into doctor's murder July 14 - Jul 12, 2011
- High Court too orders CBI probe into doctor's murder - Jul 14, 2011
- Doctor's death in jail: Family moves Supreme Court - Jul 07, 2011
- Decision for CBI probe delayed, says Sachan's brother - Jul 13, 2011
- Supreme Court to hear Sachan death case Friday - Jul 07, 2011
- CBI to probe rural health scheme in Uttar Pradesh (Lead) - Nov 15, 2011
- Lucknow jail death: Apex court favours independent probe (Lead) - Jul 08, 2011
- Mayawati orders CBI probe into medical officer's death (Second Lead) - Jul 13, 2011
- Court rejects CBI probe plea in medical officer's death - Jun 24, 2011
- Mayawati orders CBI probe into doctors' killing, medical graft - Jul 20, 2011
- Doctor's death in jail: Family moves Supreme Court (Lead) - Jul 07, 2011
- Lucknow custodial death: Supreme Court favours independent probe - Jul 08, 2011
- CBI to probe Uttar Pradesh medical officers' killings - Jul 27, 2011
- Court rejects plea for CBI probe; Doctor cremated (Roundup) - Jun 24, 2011
- Medical officer's death sparks protests in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 23, 2011
Tags: allahabad high court, anand, awasthi, b p singh, cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, chief minister, district jail, division bench, gupta, judgement, krishna, medical officer, objection, pradeep, ritu raj, state government, tewari, vinod sharma, wednesday evening