Mayawati orders BSP legislator’s arrest in minor’s gang rapeJanuary 12th, 2011 - 8:23 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Jan 12 (IANS) The Mayawati government in Uttar Pradesh Wednesday ordered the “immediate arrest” of Bahujan Samaj Party legislator Purshottam Narain Dwivedi for his alleged involvement in the gang rape of a minor girl in the state’s Banda district.The arrest of the MLA has been ordered following the preliminary report submitted by the state’s Criminal Investigation Department (CID) confirming gang rape of the minor girl in Banda, state Cabinet Secretary Shashank Shekhar Singh said at a press conference here.
He said the government has ordered the “immediate arrest” of Dwivedi and his three henchmen.
Chief Minister and BSP president Mayawati had Jan 2 ordered the suspension from the party of Dwivedi for his alleged involvement in the gang rape.
The 17-year-old victim had accused Dwivedi and his henchmen of not only subjecting her to gang rape but also using his influence to falsely implicate her in a case of theft.
Dwivedi accused her of stealing the legislator’s licensed revolver and Rs.5,000 from his house, for which she was sent to jail in Banda, 180 km from here.
- BSP legislator accused of rape arrested (Second Lead) - Jan 13, 2011
- Mayawati orders BSP legislator's arrest in minor's rape (Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- Mayawati suspends BSP legislator accused of rape (Lead) - Jan 02, 2011
- Congress for judicial probe against rape-accused BSP lawmaker - Jan 02, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh girl was raped by legislator, his guards - Jan 11, 2011
- Banda rape case: MLA did rape me, says Dalit girl - Jan 14, 2011
- Custody of girl raped by BSP legislator extended in theft case - Jan 14, 2011
- BSP MLA arrested in Dalit girl rape case - Jan 13, 2011
- Congress demands arrest of 'rapist' BSP legislator - Dec 31, 2010
- Banda rape: CBI books BSP legislator - Sep 22, 2011
- Mayawati orders probe into rape allegations against BSP legislator - Jan 02, 2011
- Rape-accused BSP legislator suspended - Jan 02, 2011
- Supreme Court moved on Banda rape - Jan 20, 2011
- Fourth accused in Banda rape case surrenders - Jan 18, 2011
- Banda rape victim released from jail - Jan 15, 2011
Tags: banda district, cabinet secretary, chief minister, criminal investigation department, department cid, gang rape, henchmen, legislator, Mayawati, mla, preliminary report, revolver, shashank, shekhar, state cabinet, uttar pradesh