‘Mayawati insensitive to Dalit woes’November 3rd, 2010 - 8:19 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Nov 3 (IANS) National Commission for Scheduled Castes Chairman P.L. Punia Wednesday accused Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati of being insensitive to the problems faced by Dalits.
He also alleged that she was not taking any serious steps to prevent atrocities against them.
“In the last five-six months, several incidents of rape and killing of Dalits took place in districts like Muzaffarnagar, Basti, Kannauj and Hathras, but the state government preferred to remain silent on all such incidents,” Punia told reporters at a press conference here.
“Even when the commission sought a report from the state government on the incidents, the government failed to reply. It clearly reflects the non-serious attitude of the Mayawati government which claims to protect rights of Dalits and backward communities,” he added.
Punia said that the commission was looking at ways to ensure that timely action was taken on first information reports (FIRs) and complaints filed by Dalits.
“We are working to ensure that the investigations in the complaint made by Dalits are completed within a month of registering the FIR so that the court hearing in the case could also start within three months,” said Punia.
- 'Dalits still being targetted in Uttar Pradesh' - Nov 21, 2010
- Mayawati contests charges of maximum harassment of Dalits - Apr 10, 2011
- Ramdev's fast has lost meaning: Congress (Lead) - Jun 11, 2011
- Bhatta-Parsaul 'rape': Panel warns Uttar Pradesh - Oct 24, 2011
- Cop bends to wipe Mayawati's shoes, official justifies act (Lead) - Feb 09, 2011
- 'Jamia's minority status a boon for Muslim students' - May 12, 2011
- Quota bill in Rajya Sabha, SP, BSP lock horns (Second Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Ramdev's fast has lost meaning: Congress - Jun 11, 2011
- What a blow! Mayawati gets a boost, Akhilesh defensive (UP Newsletter) - Jul 27, 2012
- Arrest of ex-minister sought in Odisha gang rape - Mar 05, 2012
- Digvijay slams Mayawati government - Jun 20, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh's fifth rape case in a day (Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- Rift between MPs only pre-victory pangs: Congress - Feb 08, 2012
- All-party meeting on job promotion quota Aug 21 (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Barabanki gets the chills, slow polling in first hours - Feb 08, 2012
Tags: atrocities, chief minister, court hearing, dalits, fir, firs, information reports, investigations, kannauj, Mayawati, rape, serious attitude, six months, state government, three months, timely action, woes