Mayawati expels Mukhtar Ansari, his brother from BSPApril 16th, 2010 - 7:50 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, April 16 (IANS) Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister and Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) supremo Mayawati Friday expelled criminal-turned-politician Mukhtar Ansari from the primary membership of the party.
“Ansari’s involvement in criminal activities led our party president to take the decision to expel him,” a BSP press release released here said.
His elder brother Afzal Ansari, who was earlier a BSP MP, also has been expelled while the party has decided to distance itself from their cousin Sibtainullah Ansari, who had been extending his support to the BSP despite being a Samajwadi Party legislator.
Both Afzal and Mukhtar are currently in jail in connection with the murder of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legislator Krishnanand Rai, who was gunned down in a broad daylight ambush near Allahabad a few years ago.
According to the press release, Mukhtar Ansari “had failed to live up to the expectations of the BSP where he was given entry on the promise that he would mend his ways”.
According to the release, a raid by the police on Ghazipur jail earlier this month revealed that Mukhtar Ansari and his brother were continuing with their criminal activities even from behind the bars and hence the party leadership decided to throw them out as “they were giving BSP a bad name”.
Justifying the party’s earlier decision to take in the Ansari brothers, despite their criminal antecedents, the release added: “Mayawati admitted Ansari into the party on the plea that past governments had implicated him in criminal cases simply because of his crusade against affluent and powerful landowners to uphold the cause of the poor and the downtrodden.”
Mukhtar and Afzal Ansari were the official BSP nominees for the Varanasi and Ghazipur seats respectively in the April-May Lok Sabha elections, but both lost.
- BSP expels Mukthar Ansari, brother (Lead) - Apr 16, 2010
- Mayawati expels Mukhtar Ansari from BSP - Apr 17, 2010
- Mukhtar Ansari floats new political outfit - Aug 09, 2010
- Mayawati expels 500 BSP workers with criminal past - May 01, 2010
- No room for criminals in BSP: Mayawati - May 02, 2010
- Mukhtar Ansari's sharpshooter arrested - Nov 16, 2010
- Jailed politicians make a beeline for BSP - Aug 16, 2008
- Over 60 percent turnout in UP second phase poll (Third Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Mukhtar Ansari shifted to Kanpur jail as per Election Commission orders - Apr 09, 2009
- Gangster, aide killed in gun battle in Uttar Pradesh - May 26, 2010
- Gangster gets 30 days police custody - Nov 09, 2009
- Court say no to Mukhtar Ansari's bid to contest polls - Mar 25, 2009
- Suspended BSP legislator joins Samajwadi Party - Aug 06, 2011
- Crime, money power shadow Uttar Pradesh polls - Feb 03, 2012
- Court issues warrant against Mukhtar Ansari - Nov 16, 2009
Tags: ambush, antecedents, broad daylight, bsp, chief minister, crusade, elder brother, janata party, landowners, legislator, lok sabha elections, lucknow, mukhtar, party leadership, party president, plea, politician, rai, Samajwadi Party, varanasi