Mayawati demands Rs.50 bn package for Rae Bareli, AmethiOctober 18th, 2008 - 9:49 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Oct 18 (IANS) Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati Saturday virtually put Congress president Sonia Gandhi in a bind by demanding Rs.50 billion from the central government for reviving the “decaying” industrial units in Rae Bareli and Sultanpur districts.While Sonia Gandhi represents Rae Bareli in the Lok Sabha, her son Rahul is the Congress MP from Amethi, which is part of Sultanpur district.
“After carrying out a detailed survey, we found a long list of industrial units which have shut shop or were decaying in the these two districts represented in the Lok Sabha by these two top Congress leaders,” Mayawati told mediapersons here Saturday evening.
“I have, therefore, made a formal request to the central government to clear a special package for revival of these units and a copy of the letter has also been sent to UPA (United Progressive Alliance) chairperson Sonia Gandhi,” she said.
To a query on how she was hopeful of a favourable decision when the central government had been sitting over her demand for Rs.800 billion package for the development of the backward regions, she said: “Well, now it is a question of the constituencies of Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi.”
According to a state government survey, 11 of the 20 industrial units mostly set up during different Congress regimes were lying abandoned in Rae Bareli, while seven of the 19 units were shut in Sultanpur.
“The closure had rendered as many as 3,372 people unemployed in Rae Bareli and 2,722 in Sultanpur,” claims the survey report.
- Sonia, Priyanka descend on Rae Bareli, slam Mayawati (Third Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Sonia, Priyanka descend on Rae Bareli, flay Mayawati (Second Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- Sonia, Priyanka descend on Rae Bareli, flay Mayawati (Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- Gandhi charisma fading? Congress humbled in Rae Bareli, Amethi - Mar 06, 2012
- Elections 2012: UP poll battle begins Wednesday - Feb 06, 2012
- Sonia to visit Rae Bareli - Jul 25, 2012
- Congress trailing in Rae Bareli - Mar 06, 2012
- UP to get 148 model schools: Sonia Gandhi - Jul 26, 2012
- Congress wants Rae Bareli, CSM Nagar officials moved out - Feb 11, 2012
- Did loud mouth ministers script Congress debacle in UP? - Apr 06, 2012
- 70 IAS officials transferred in Uttar Pradesh - Apr 13, 2012
- Sonia, Priyanka descend on Rae Bareli - Feb 14, 2012
- Sonia Gandhi monitors execution of central welfare schemes in Rae Bareli - Nov 29, 2010
- Mayawati slams opposition, says Rahul is helpless - May 12, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi meets officials in Rae Bareli (Lead) - Mar 31, 2010