Mayawati concedes Rahul’s plea for farmers meeet in AligarhJuly 3rd, 2011 - 4:23 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 3 (IANS) The Mayawati administration has conceded Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi’s plea to hold a farmers meet in Aligarh on July 9.
The BSP government had earlier flatly denied permission to the Gandhi scion to address a rally of farmers in Bhatta-Parsaul village in Greater Noida, where acquisition of land for industrial purposes sparked off a violent clash between the farmers and police leading to the death of four people, including two policemen on May 7.
Once granted permission for Aligarh in a late Saturday night development, the Congress machinery has got down to establishing contact with farmers groups in and around the region where acquisition of land has been a major source of confrontation between farmers and the police over the past few months.
“I am confident that thousands of farmers from Agra, Bulandshahr, Noida and Greater Noida (Gautam Budh Nagar) will turn up for Rahul Gandhi’s ‘kisan maha panchayat’ in Aligarh on July 9,” state Congress president Rita Bahuguna Joshi told IANS here Sunday.
“The aim behind holding the ‘kisan panchayat’ is to ensure that the state government stops giving farmers a raw deal that it has been doing for years,” she added.
- Rahul plans to address Bhatta-Parsaul farmers - Jun 30, 2011
- Rahul halts at Rampur village - Jul 05, 2011
- Congress to move court for CBI probe in Uttar Pradesh crimes - Jul 01, 2011
- Rahul to raise farmers' problems at July 9 rally - Jul 04, 2011
- From Bhatta Parsaul, Rahul takes forward campaign against Mayawati (Intro Roundup) - Jul 05, 2011
- Rahul Gandhi rally planned in Noida July 9 - Jul 03, 2011
- I am with you, Rahul tells farmers in Mayawati land (Second Lead) - Jul 05, 2011
- Rahul listens to farmers at Aligarh rally - Jul 09, 2011
- Rahul springs surprise, in Mayawati land again (Lead) - Jul 05, 2011
- Rahul's march to get feedback on land policy: Digvijay - Jul 05, 2011
- From Bhatta-Parsaul, Rahul leads campaign against Mayawati (Roundup) - Jul 05, 2011
- Farmers have to face bullets in Uttar Pradesh, says Rahul (Lead) - Jul 09, 2011
- Weapon 'robbed' by Tewatia recovered - Jul 10, 2011
- Sachin Pilot dares Ramdev to join politics - Jul 03, 2011
- Congress ready for Rahul's 'kisan panchayat' - Jun 10, 2011
Tags: aligarh, bsp, confrontation, congress president, farmers, general secretary, greater noida, industrial purposes, joshi, kisan, late saturday night, lucknow, maha, panchayat, policemen, rahul gandhi, raw deal, scion, state congress, violent clash