Maya attacks Akhilesh for changing names of eight districts (Lead)July 23rd, 2012 - 7:35 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 23 (IANS) The Samajwadi Party’s Uttar Pradesh government Monday changed the names of eight districts renamed by the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP), a move that evoked strong protest from former chief minister Mayawati. She described it as an insult to Dalits and their sentiments.
Mayawati slammed the SP for “insulting the Dalit icons and leaders” by doing so and said that by this decision both Mulayam Singh Yadav and UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav earned a ‘black spot’ for themselves in history.
“It is indeed saddening that the state government has whimsically changed the names, riding roughshod over sentiments of millions of downtrodden Dalits by changing the names of these districts which were kept after these towering Dalit icons,” Mayawati said.
The SP-led state government should be prepared to bear the consequences of this hasty action, the BSP supremo said.
The decision was taken at a cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
The districts whose names have been reverted to their original names include Bhimnagar (now Bahjoi), Panchsheelnagar (now Hapur), Jyotiba Phule Nagar (now Amroha), Mahamaya Nagar (now Hathras), Kanshiram Nagar (now Kasganj) and Ramabainagar (now Kanpur Dehat).
Prabudhnagar gets back its original name Shamli.
The name of Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Nagar district has been changed to Gauriganj. It is part of Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi’s Lok Sabha constituency Amethi.
The cabinet also changed the name of the Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical University and reverted to its original name, the King George Medical University.
All these were election promises made by the Samajwadi party during the poll campaign.
BSP supremo and former UP chief minister Mayawati, in her various stints in power, created 15 new districts in UP, naming them after Dalit icons.
- khilesh reverts names of eight UP districts - Jul 23, 2012
- High Court bars Amethi's name change - Sep 21, 2012
- Mayawati's move to rename Amethi stayed - Aug 18, 2010
- UP officials not taking Akhilesh seriously: BSP - Jul 30, 2012
- BSP protests renaming of Lucknow's Kanshi Ram park - Aug 07, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi's Amethi constituency made district - Jul 01, 2010
- Congress leaders express dissatisfaction over creating new district from Amethi constituency - Jul 02, 2010
- BSP-SP 'war' set to get shriller in times to come - May 21, 2012
- Mayawati warns against razing statues - Apr 14, 2012
- Elections 2012: UP poll battle begins Wednesday - Feb 06, 2012
- Early Holi for supporters of Hanuman devotee Mulayam - Mar 06, 2012
- Akhilesh set to take over, promises a new UP (Roundup) - Mar 10, 2012
- What a blow! Mayawati gets a boost, Akhilesh defensive (UP Newsletter) - Jul 27, 2012
- Mayawati fast-tracks preparations for Lok Sabha polls - Apr 03, 2012
- Upgrade Mayawati's security, BSP tells Akhilesh - Jul 30, 2012
Tags: akhilesh yadav, bahujan samaj party, cabinet meeting, changing names, chief minister, general secretary, hasty action, insult, Lok Sabha, Mayawati, medical university, mulayam singh yadav, poll campaign, rahul gandhi, sabha constituency, Samajwadi Party, sentiments, state government, stints, uttar pradesh government