Maximum possible assistance to Bengal: PranabJuly 16th, 2011 - 11:58 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 16 (IANS) Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee Saturday said the central government will provide the maximum possible financial assistance to West Bengal.
“It is already known that Rs.22,224 crore has been allocated for Bengal. There has been a significant increase compared to the last year. Talks were held earlier about how the projects will be implemented, today (Saturday) also we discussed that,” Mukherjee told reporters after an over two-hour-long meeting with Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
“I have told her (Banerjee) and state Finance Minister Amit Mitra that we will provide maximum possible support to the state. We will support fully the comprehensive programmes she has taken on education and health, among others, to ensure that people get dividends from these projects,” he said.
Stating that their discussion was not confined to any particular topic and it was comprehensive, he said they deliberated upon the overall political and economic situation of the country.
“We discussed the overall situation in the country… monsoon session of parliament and terrorism. I will not get the assistance of Mamata Banerjee, which I got in the last two years, in this monsoon session. That is why we held talks about how the monsoon session will be conducted. Many important bills will be tabled in this session,” he said.
Banerjee said: “Our meetings are not routine meetings. Today we discussed financial condition of Bengal. We had discussed this earlier also. We also discussed the situation in Jungalmahal and (Darjeeling) hills.”
- Pranab to meet Mamata to discuss financial situation - May 28, 2011
- Mamata meets Pranab Mukherjee, discuss budget session strategy - Feb 05, 2011
- Mitra meets Pranab, says discussions incomplete - Jun 11, 2012
- Various measures to solve Bengal's financial problems: Pranab - May 30, 2011
- Mamata to meet Sonia on presidential choice (Second Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Mamata to meet Sonia on presidential choice Wednesday (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Pranab, Mamata seat-sharing meet inconclusive - Mar 16, 2011
- Mamata to meet Sonia on presidential polls Wednesday - Jun 12, 2012
- Pranab listens as Mamata says state coffers are empty - Feb 17, 2012
- Will discuss with PM Mamata's financial package demand: Pranab - Oct 23, 2011
- PM will decide petrol price issue: Pranab - Nov 08, 2011
- Mamata, Mitra to meet Pranab Sunday for funds - May 25, 2011
- All options open for presidential polls, says Mamata (Lead) - May 04, 2012
- Mulayam keeps Congress guessing on presidential race (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Bengal to get Rs.21,614 crore financial package - Aug 06, 2011
Tags: amit mitra, banerjee, central government, chief minister, crore, darjeeling hills, dividends, economic situation, education, financial assistance, Health Science, kolkata, monsoon session, parliament, pranab mukherjee, routine meetings, state finance, terrorism, union finance minister, west bengal