Marxist veteran Surjeet’s funeral SundayAugust 3rd, 2008 - 11:35 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 3 (IANS) Harkishan Singh Surjeet, the architect of Indian coalition politics, who died Friday after a prolonged illness, will be cremated here Sunday. Thousands of party workers are expected to pay homage to the Marxist leader when his body will be kept for public viewing at his 3 Teen Murti Lane residence and later at the party headquarters here. Surjeet was the general secretary of the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) from 1992-2005.
Leaders of various political parties including ministers and social activists are expected to arrive at the A.K. Gopalan Bhavan, the CPI-M office, where his body will be kept from 10.30 a.m. to 2.30 p.m.
The funeral procession to Nigambodh Ghat, where his last rites will be performed, will begin at 3 p.m., a CPI-M press release said.
Surjeet, 92, who had towered over the country’s communist movement for over seven decades, died due to multiple ailments at 1.35 p.m. Friday in the Metro Hospital, Noida.
Surjeet was born in a Punjab village March 23, 1916. He is survived by wife Pritam Kaur, two sons - Pramjeet Singh and Gurucharan Singh (Punjab CPI-M committee member) - and daughter Charanjeet Kaur.
- Thousands pay tribute to Harkishan Singh Surjeet - Aug 03, 2008
- Marxist icon Surjeet cremated, thousands pay last tribute (Lead) - Aug 03, 2008
- CPI-M fumes at denial of site in Agartala for rally - Jan 28, 2012
- Petrol price rise: Shops shut across Himachal - May 31, 2012
- Prominent candidates in Punjab assembly polls - Jan 28, 2012
- Surjeet's funeral on Sunday - Aug 01, 2008
- Presiding officer removed for violating poll code - Apr 18, 2011
- Air of defeat sets in at CPI-M Delhi office - May 13, 2011
- Akhilesh Yadav calls on Mamata Banerjee - Sep 12, 2012
- Chargesheet soon in ex-Marxist leader's murder - Jul 14, 2012
- CPI-M politburo member M.K. Pandhe dead - Aug 20, 2011
- Midnapore skeleton case: Arrested CPI-M leader admitted to hospital - Aug 14, 2011
- Mortal remains of Surjeet consigned to flames (Update) - Aug 03, 2008
- Congress should answer why allies named Manmohan: Left - Jun 14, 2012
- About 80 percent turnout in Kerala bypoll (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
Tags: ailments, coalition politics, committee member, communist movement, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, funeral procession, general secretary, ghat, gopalan, last rites, m office, m press, marxist leader, noida, party headquarters, public viewing, punjab, social activists