Martha Coakley Concedes Defeat For Democrats After 46 Years

January 20th, 2010 - 8:47 pm ICT by GD  

By Madhuri Dey
marthaMassachusetts, Jan 20, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The representative of the Democratic Party, Martha Coakley, was forced to concede defeat at the Massachusetts Senate Elections against the Republican candidate Scott Brown. The seat had been a coveted one, the one that had been formerly occupied by the late Senator Ted Kennedy. Martha Coakley lost the seat at a margin of 6%, with the Republican candidate securing 52% votes, and Martha Coakley managing to secure 47%. This was the total report from the total of about 99% of the precincts.

Surprisingly though, the deciding factor in the Massachusetts Senate Elections had been the votes of the Independents. The loss of the Democratic candidate has come as a major shock to the party, particularly considering that the Democratic Party had been the one that had been winning in the state for many years since. Needless to say, the victory of the Republicans has come as a rather nasty shock to the White House too.

On the other hand, it has come as a huge shock to the White House too. It is likely that this win of the Republican party will be wreaking a huge change in the political scenario in the United States. Since Scott Brown is a Republican candidate, and extremely against the policies of the present president of the United States, Barack Obama, it is likely that his win is going to give the Republicans the chance to pressurize the Democrats in both the houses. The defeat of Martha Coakley has indeed marked a very significant change for the Republicans as well as for the Democrats, who had been holding the seat for the past 46 years.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Politics |

Subscribe