Mario, Dharmendra, Shabana conferred Padma awardsApril 4th, 2012 - 7:08 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 4 (IANS) Leading media personalities, film stars, industrialists, retired civil servants and educationists including the late cartoonist Mario Miranda, Bollywood veterans Dharmendra and Shabana Azmi, and former Chief Vigilance Commissioner (CVC) Nagarajan Vittal were conferred the prestigious Padma awards here Wednesday.
The colourful ceremony was held at the Durbar Hall of Rastrapati Bhavan here, when Miranda’s son Rahul received the Padma Vibhushan from President Pratibha Patil amidst thunderous applause from guests, including Vice President Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi and a host of other dignitaries.
But the loudest applause was reserved for Dharamendra and Shabana Azmi, both of whom received the Padma Bhushan, and for international archer Limba Ram Ahari and Olympic hockey gold medallist Zafar Iqbal.
Among the Padma Bhushan awardees were Vittal, literary theorist Homi K. Bhabha, violinist M.S. Gopalakrishnan, Tata Steel Vice Chairman B. Muthuraman, former bureaucrat Mata Prasad, mathematician M.S. Raghunathan, international jurist P. Chandrasekhara Rao, neurologist Noshir Hormusji Wadia and former Singapore Foreign Minister George Yong-Boon Yeo, who is presently a governing body member of the Nalanda University.
Among those not present at the ceremony, but whose awards would be sent to them, are eminent painter K.G. Subramanyan (Padma Vibushan), Satya Narayan Goenka and Jose Pereira (Padma Bhushan), and leading homeopathic consultant late Jugal Kishore.
Apart from Limba Ram and Zafar Iqbal, the Padma Shri was conferred on industrialist Swati Piramal, eminent diabetologist V. Mohan, and Ravi Chaturvedi, who popularlised cricket commentary in Hindi.
Along with the lone Padma Vibhshan, 13 Padma Bhushan and 53 Padma Shri awards were presented.
- Mario Miranda, Bhupen Hazarika in Padma honours list (Roundup) - Jan 25, 2012
- Maharashtra gets lion's share of Padma awards 2012 - Jan 26, 2012
- No Bharat Ratna, just six Padma Shris for sportspersons - Jan 25, 2012
- 19 women among Padma award winners - Jan 25, 2012
- No Bharat Ratna in sports, just eight Padma Shris (Roundup) - Jan 25, 2012
- Eight people of Indian origin in Padma list - Jan 25, 2012
- My and Mira's happiness doubled with Padma Bhushan: Shabana - Jan 27, 2012
- Limba hopes Padma Shri will popularise Indian archery - Jan 25, 2012
- Dharmendra, Shabana, Mira Nair to get Padma Bhushan - Jan 25, 2012
- Padma awards late for Priyadarsan, Mira, Shabana, Dharmendra? - Jan 27, 2012
- Wipro's Premji leads Padma awardees among industrialists - Jan 25, 2011
- Awards galore for family, Shabana delighted - Jan 26, 2012
- I'm humbled, says Shabana after Padma Bhushan - Jan 25, 2012
- VVS Laxman, Sushil Kumar amongst 128 Padma awardees - Jan 25, 2011
- Padma for Singapore ex-minister with Nalanda connect - Jan 25, 2012
Tags: civil servants, colourful ceremony, cricket commentary, dharmendra, diabetologist, hamid ansari, jose pereira, literary theorist, manmohan singh, nalanda university, padma bhushan, padma shri awards, padma vibhushan, president pratibha patil, prime minister manmohan singh, shabana azmi, singapore foreign minister, sonia gandhi, thunderous applause, vittal