Marandi, legislators held in anti-encroachment protestMarch 31st, 2011 - 8:19 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, March 31 (IANS) Lok Sabha member and former Jharkhand chief minister Babulal Marandi was arrested along with legislators and supporters Thursday when they attempted to demonstrate outside the main secretariat building here against the ongoing anti-encroachment drive in the state.
According to police, Marandi, who leads the Jharkhand Vikas Morcha-Prajatantrik (JVM-P), was arrested with JVM-P legislature party leader Pradeep Yadav and Congress leaders in the Heavy Engineering Corporation (HEC) campus and taken to Jagannathpur police station.
The agitation against anti-encroachment drive is gaining momentum in Jharkhand.
Ranchi Mayor Rama Khalko joined the protest Wednesday, and expressed unhappiness over the way the anti-encroachment drive was executed.
Jharkhand Assembly Speaker C.P. Singh, who is also ruling Bharatiya Janata Party legislator from Ranchi, has also joined the protest.
- Jharkhand Governor urged to stop anti-encroachment drive - Apr 01, 2011
- One killed as protesters, police clash in Ranchi - Sep 03, 2012
- Jharkhand assembly disrupted over Marandi's arrest - Mar 10, 2011
- Jharkhand speaker bars media from reporting disruption - Mar 10, 2011
- Jharkhand's rural areas hit by Maoist shutdown - Apr 23, 2011
- Marandi's party to stay away from Rajya Sabha poll - Apr 23, 2012
- Legislator tears off kurta in Jharkhand assembly - Mar 10, 2011
- Shutdown hits life in Jharkhand, Medha Patkar booked - May 02, 2011
- Marandi ends hunger strike - May 08, 2011
- Opposition protests hit road, rail services - Mar 09, 2011
- Pranab campaigns in Jharkhand, Lalu, Paswan also pitch in - Jul 12, 2012
- Marandi seeking Maoist help to win Jamshedpur by-poll: Munda - Jun 30, 2011
- Munda appeals to Marandi to end hunger strike - May 05, 2011
- Jharkhand protesters block train movements - Sep 11, 2011
- Marandi's party to support Congress in Rajya Sabha poll - Jun 06, 2010
Tags: agitation, assembly speaker, chief minister, congress leaders, encroachment, engineering corporation, gaining momentum, heavy engineering, jvm, legislator, legislators, lok sabha member, party leader, police station, pradeep, protest, rama, secretariat, unhappiness, yadav