Maps of separate Kosala state distributed in OrissaDecember 18th, 2009 - 11:40 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Dec 18 (IANS) The Kosala Kranti Dal, a political party in Orissa which has been demanding separate statehood comprising 11 western districts, Friday distributed maps of its dream state to people.
The maps were distributed in the district headquarter of Bolangir, its president Pramod Mishra told IANS. He said the maps would also be distributed in other parts of the western region in the next few days. Bolangir town is 320 km from here.
Hundreds of students in Sambalpur, Bargarh and Bolangir towns boycotted classes and walked streets with posters and banners, and shouted slogans in favour of a separate state.
Mishra said his Dal has planned to launch a massive agitation in the coming days to press its demand. “We are going to demonstrate in Bhubaneswar in front of Raj Bhaban on Dec 23,” he said.
The demand for separate state has picked up momentum in Orissa following the central government’s decision to pave the way for a Telangana state in Andhra Pradesh.
The Kosala Kranti Dal wants a new state comprising the districts of Bargarh, Bolangir, Boudh, Deogarh, Jharsuguda, Kalahandi, Koraput, Nuapada, Sambalpur, Subarnapur and Sundergarh.
Known as the Kosala region, these districts suffer from poverty and backwardness, deaths due to malnutrition and high infant mortality rate.
- Strike seeking separate Kosala state hits rail services - Jan 10, 2010
- Demand for Kosala state picks up in Orissa - Dec 13, 2009
- Thousands stage rally for a separate Kosal state - Dec 23, 2009
- Shutdown in Orissa against power plants - Aug 09, 2011
- Lawyers enforce 12-hour shutdown in Odisha - May 08, 2012
- Floods displace thousands in Orissa - Sep 10, 2011
- Orissa Maoist leader arrested with arms - Mar 05, 2011
- Patnaik seeks funds, helicopters to fight Maoists - Feb 01, 2011
- Mercury soars in Odisha, Titilagarh records 44.5 C - May 15, 2012
- Top Odisha Maoist leader held (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- Orissa voter turnout pegged at 65.9 percent - Apr 17, 2009
- Cold persists in Odisha - Jan 14, 2012
- NHPC to set up three power plants in Orissa - Jul 21, 2011
- Communal tension casts shadow on Orissa harvest festival - Sep 04, 2008
- Protests against Orissa hydropower projects intensify - Aug 25, 2011
Tags: agitation, andhra pradesh, backwardness, bargarh, bhubaneswar, central government, deaths, dream state, favour, few days, infant mortality rate, kranti, malnutrition, maps, momentum, orissa, posters, poverty, slogans, statehood