Maoists threaten to chop hands of voters in BiharApril 8th, 2009 - 2:05 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, April 8 (IANS) Maoist guerrillas have put up handwritten posters in Bihar’s Gaya district threatening villagers that their hands would be chopped if they vote in the general election.
“The hands of anyone casting a vote would be chopped,” read one poster in Hindi in Gaya district, about 100 km from here.
The posters, pasted on walls, trees, schools, panchayat buildings, also warn middlemen to stay away from the election process.
“Maoists pasted posters at villages in Bankabazar, Barachatti, Dumaria, Imamganj and Amas blocks of Shergathi sub-division in Gaya,” a Gaya district administration official told IANS over the phone.
The Communist Party of India-Maoist’s Bihar, Jharkhand and north Chhattisgarh units have issued a boycott call for the elections and declared their intention to intensify their struggle.
Bihar elections will be conducted over four phases on April 16, 23, 30 and May 7.
Most Maoist insurgency hit areas will see elections in the first phase. These include the Magadh division, comprising Gaya, Aurangabad, Jehanabad, Arwal, Nawada, Sasaram, Jamui, the Tirhut division made up of Saran, Siwan, Gopalganj and Maharajganj, as well as the Ara district.
The government will deploy central paramilitary forces in large numbers to suppress the boycott call, officials said.
In the first phase, in which 13 of the state’s 40 seats will go to the polls, choppers will be deployed.
Elections in Bihar have usually been troubled affairs. In the 1999 Lok Sabha polls, 74 people were killed. In 2004, the toll was 20.
- Maoists torch vehicles, blast mobile tower in Bihar - Mar 15, 2011
- Aerial vigil of booths to curb Maoist violence in Bihar - Apr 14, 2009
- Fearing Maoist violence, Bihar seeks four IAF choppers - Mar 26, 2009
- Maoists blow up school, mobile phone tower in Bihar - Mar 16, 2011
- Strike hits normal life in parts of Bihar - May 22, 2012
- Bihar fears revenge attack after Ranvir Sena chief's killing - Jun 07, 2012
- Fifth phase of Bihar polls begins - Nov 09, 2010
- Maoists engineer blast in Gaya, two killed - Nov 20, 2010
- Fifth phase of Bihar assembly polls begins (Lead) - Nov 09, 2010
- Caste to play main role in Bihar fifth phase poll (Curtain Raiser) - Nov 08, 2010
- Ranvir Sena chief killed, curfew imposed on Bihar town (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Drought-hit Bihar to seek massive aid - Aug 05, 2010
- Fifth phase of Bihar Assembly polls begins amid tight security - Nov 09, 2010
- Maoists attack legislator's house, blast another's in Bihar - Mar 17, 2011
- Thousands join Ranvir Sena chief's funeral - Jun 02, 2012
Tags: administration official, amas, boycott, chhattisgarh, communist party of india, district administration, gaya district, jehanabad, jharkhand, large numbers, Lok Sabha, maoist, maoist guerrillas, maoists, middlemen, paramilitary forces, patna, saran, sasaram, siwan