Maoists threaten to attack politicians ahead of pollsMarch 16th, 2009 - 12:58 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, March 16 (IANS) Maoists rebels in Orissa’s Malkangiri district have distributed hundreds of leaflets and posters asking people to boycott the general elections and threatening politicians who canvass for votes.
Rebels of the banned Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist) have also said they would burn vehicles used in campaigning. The leaflets were found Sunday night in the interior areas of the southern district of Malkangiri, about 700 km from here.
“We have found posters and leaflets in the Chitrakonda area. They have asked people to boycott polls and asked leaders to refrain from campaigning,” District Superintendent of Police Satyabrata Bhoi told IANS.
“We have beefed up securities in all the sensitive areas.”
The three major parties - the Congress, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and the ruling Biju Janata Dal (BJD) - have been described as anti-tribal in the pamphlets.
Maoists who claim to fight for the poor are active in more than half of state’s 30 districts. Malkangiri district is considered one of their strongholds.
- Odisha talks halted as Maoists seize legislator (Roundup) - Mar 24, 2012
- Maoists call for one-day strike in Orissa - Nov 11, 2010
- Odisha talks halted as Maoists seize legislator (Intro Roundup) - Mar 24, 2012
- Odisha hostage crisis: Talks suspended over legislator's abduction (Lead) - Mar 24, 2012
- Hostage crisis: Odisha holds talks as MLA abducted (Second Lead) - Mar 24, 2012
- Maoists scale down demand for Hikaka's release (Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- Maoists set Wednesday deadline for Hikaka's release - Apr 15, 2012
- Maoists reiterate demands to free second Italian - Mar 26, 2012
- Hostage crisis: Odisha to release 27 prisoners (Lead) - Apr 05, 2012
- Maoists set Thursday deadline for abducted Odisha legislator - Apr 03, 2012
- Maoists release Italian hostage, MLA still missing (Second Lead) - Apr 12, 2012
- Odisha crisis: Uncertainty over hostages' release (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- Maoists release second Italian (Lead) - Apr 12, 2012
- Little movement on release of Odisha legislator - Apr 17, 2012
- Chhattisgarh had intelligence on Maoists' abduction plan - Feb 17, 2011
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjd, bjp, communist party of india, congress, CPI, district superintendent, general elections, interior areas, leaflets, maoist, maoists, orissa, pamphlets, politicians, polls, posters, rebels, sensitive areas, strongholds