Maoists threaten India’s integrity: Raman SinghAugust 15th, 2008 - 5:22 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Aug 15 (IANS) Maoist militants pose a threat to India’s unity and integrity, Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh said Friday in his Independence Day speech. “Due to Maoists, India’s unity and integrity are under threat. I salute our brothers in Bastar who have launched a self-inspired movement ‘Salwa Judum’ against the guerrillas,” Raman Singh said at the Police Parade ground here.
The highlights of the function were a cultural programme by students attired in colourful dress and a show by sniffer dogs.
In his 20-minute speech, Raman Singh said: “I would like to make it clear that I will not bow to any individual or group that has no faith in democracy, believes in violence and is involved in anti-national activities.”
The government has appointed about 4,500 youths as Special Police Officers (SPO) in the state’s sprawling Bastar region to team up with the police to taken on Maoists.
He said the police strength had risen from 26,000 four years back to 46,000 now to fight the Maoists.
- Chhattisgarh begins disarming Salwa Judum - Jul 06, 2011
- Stamp out Maoists: Chhattisgarh governor - Jan 26, 2012
- Supreme Court order will hit anti-Maoist drive: Chhattisgarh officers - Jul 05, 2011
- Maoists will be defeated: Raman Singh - Aug 15, 2010
- Maoists gun down key Salwa Judum leader - Jul 23, 2010
- Maoists are inhuman: Chhattisgarh chief minister - Aug 15, 2011
- Salwa Judum never existed: Raman Singh - May 04, 2012
- Maoists kill Salwa Judum leader - Feb 02, 2011
- Take a pledge to free Chhattisgarh from Maoists: Raman Singh - Aug 15, 2009
- Chhattisgarh's terror boys: once feared now fearful (Feature) - Jul 21, 2011
- From hunter to hunted: Salwa Judum leaders have nowhere to hide - Sep 05, 2010
- Maoists kill civil militia leader - Mar 19, 2012
- Chhattisgarh CM vows to crush Maoists - Aug 15, 2012
- Rendered jobless, Chhattisgarh SPOs to be made cops - Jul 23, 2011
- Security of Salwa Judum leaders raised after killing - Nov 22, 2010
Tags: bastar, chief minister, democracy, faith, guerrillas, independence day, India, integrity, maoist, maoists, minute speech, parade ground, police parade, police strength, raipur, sniffer dogs, special police officers, unity, violence