Maoists kill poll candidate in OrissaApril 9th, 2009 - 10:18 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, April 9 (IANS) Stepping up attacks ahead of the polls, Maoist rebels Thursday killed an election candidate of a regional party in Orissa, the police said.
At least four armed rebels killed Somnath Madkami, candidate of the Samrudha Odisha party for Malkangiri assembly constituency, at Kalimela town, district superintendent of police Satyabrata Bhoi told IANS.
“They took him 4 km away from his home and killed him with sharp weapons,” he said.
The murder took place an hour after Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik addressed an election rally at Malkangiri town, some 618 km from here. Malkangiri is considered a Maoist stronghold.
The rebels, who are active in more than half of 30 districts of the state, have called for a boycott of the polls.
Jatish Mohanty, the chief of Samrudha Odisha, said: “Somanth was a winning candidate for us. I do not know why the Naxalites killed him. It is dangerous to the democratic process. The state government must take action to curb the Naxal menace.”
Orissa goes to simultaneous polls to the Lok Sabha and the state assembly April 16 and 23.
- Maoists block roads in Orissa, call for poll boycott - Apr 15, 2009
- Maoist held for Orissa leader's murder - Sep 27, 2009
- Maoists attack poll booth, burn voting machines in Orissa - Apr 16, 2009
- SPO shot dead by Maoists in Odisha - Jul 29, 2012
- Security forces engage Maoists in gun battle after mine attack - Apr 14, 2009
- 14 killed in Maoist attack on Nalco mine in Orissa (Second lead) - Apr 13, 2009
- 11 killed in Maoist attack at Orissa aluminium mine (Lead) - Apr 13, 2009
- Orissa collector released by Maoists (Second Lead) - Feb 24, 2011
- Maoists attack poll stations, burn voting machines in Orissa (Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Orissa anxiously awaits arrival of hostages at home - Feb 23, 2011
- Orissa collector released by Maoists (Third Lead) - Feb 24, 2011
- Maoists kill Odisha villager - Jul 07, 2012
- Maoist shutdown hits life in Orissa district - Apr 28, 2011
- Maoists demand more for Orissa collector's release (Night Lead) - Feb 24, 2011
- Voting slow in Orissa, Maoists attack polling stations (Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
Tags: bhubaneswar, boycott, chief minister, constituency, district superintendent, election candidate, election rally, Lok Sabha, maoist, maoists, naveen patnaik, naxalites, odisha, orissa, rebels, regional party, simultaneous polls, state assembly, state government, stronghold