Maoists kill five CRPF troopers in JharkhandApril 11th, 2009 - 7:21 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, April 11 (IANS) Five Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) troopers were killed and three injured Saturday in an eight-hour-long gunbattle with Maoist rebels in Jharkhand’s Khuti district, around 20 km from where Congress president Sonia Gandhi addressed an election rally.
“Five CRPF personnel were killed and three were injured in an ambush by Maoist rebels in Khuti district,” Jharkhand Police spokesperson S.N. Pradhan told IANS.
According to police, the gunbattle erupted Saturday morning at Musanga Jorpa jungle, around 70 km from Ranchi and ended at around noon. Sonia Gandhi addressed a rally around 20 km away at noon.
According to the police, paramilitary forces were patrolling the areas ahead of Gandhi’s arrival when they came upon a group of Maoist rebels in the jungle. They asked the rebels to surrender, but the ultras retaliated and a fierce gunbattle ensued.
Maoists are active in 18 of Jharkhand’s 24 districts. About 1,450 people have been killed in Maoist-related violence in the last eight years. Two-phased Lok Sabha elections will be held in Jharkhand April 16 and 23.
- Two CRPF men killed, 5 injured in Maoist ambush - Jul 23, 2012
- Support Congress to ensure stable central government: Sonia Gandhi - Apr 11, 2009
- Four security personnel injured - Feb 05, 2011
- Maoist killed in Jharkhand - Dec 18, 2010
- Attack meant to reassert Maoist presence in Jharkhand: police - May 04, 2011
- Two CRPF troopers killed in Jharkhand - Sep 27, 2011
- Seven Maoists arrested, landmine recovered - Mar 03, 2012
- Five security personnel injured in Jharkhand (Lead) - Feb 05, 2011
- Maoist killed in Jharkhand - Aug 30, 2010
- Jharkhand police get hijacked bus, driver's body - Dec 02, 2011
- Suspected Maoists slit throats of seven - Jan 18, 2012
- CRPF trooper hurt, eight landmines found in Jharkhand - Aug 03, 2012
- Two policemen injured in gunfight with Maoists - Mar 14, 2011
- One rebel killed in gunbattle - Sep 23, 2011
- Maoists kill villager for being 'police spy' - Sep 21, 2010
Tags: ambush, congress president sonia gandhi, crpf, election rally, gunbattle, jungle, khuti, lok sabha elections, maoist, maoist rebels, maoists, paramilitary forces, police force, police spokesperson, ranchi, reserve police, saturday morning, ultras, violence