Maoists block roads in Orissa, call for poll boycottApril 15th, 2009 - 9:18 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, April 15 (IANS) Maoists Wednesday felled trees, dug up roads in three districts of Orissa to create hurdles for the poll officials in the run-up to the first phase of elections Thursday, police said. The Maoists have called for a complete boycott of the polls.
Police said the road communication was disrupted in the interior pockets of Koraput, Malkangiri and Rayagada districts in southern part of the state.
“Most of the roads blocked by the rebels have been cleared,” Inspector General of Police Arun Sarangi told IANS.
Sarangi said at least 100,000 central and state forces personnel have been deployed across the state. These include 49 companies of paramilitary forces, 69 companies of state armed battalions and 40,000 state policemen.
“As the rebels have called for a boycott of the poll, special security arrangements have been made in Naxal affected areas,” he said.
The Maoists have stepped up attacks in the past few weeks. The rebels last week killed Somnath Madkami, the Samrudha Odisha party’s candidate for the Malkangiri assembly seat. They also blew up several mobile towers in the same district.
Malkangiri Superintendent of Police Satyabrata Bhoi said, “We are sending polling teams to the troubled areas by chopper.” Malkangiri is considered as a Maoist-stronghold.
The rebels are active in more than half of state’s 30 districts.
The state goes to a two-phase polls to elect 121-member state assembly and 21 members to the Lok Sabha April 16 and 23.
- Maoists kill poll candidate in Orissa - Apr 09, 2009
- Maoists attack poll stations, burn voting machines in Orissa (Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Maoists observe 'martyrs week' in Odisha - Jul 28, 2012
- Maoists attack poll booth, burn voting machines in Orissa - Apr 16, 2009
- Voting slow in Orissa, Maoists attack polling stations (Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Hostage crisis: Maoist bandh hits life in Orissa - Feb 21, 2011
- Maoist threat keeps hundreds in Orissa away from polls - Apr 16, 2009
- Maoists kill home guard in Odisha ahead of I-Day - Aug 14, 2012
- Maoists damage cell phone towers in Orissa - Jul 28, 2009
- Maoists torch excavator in Odisha - Jul 20, 2012
- Maoist held for Orissa leader's murder - Sep 27, 2009
- Security forces engage Maoists in gun battle after mine attack - Apr 14, 2009
- Maoists set Thursday deadline for abducted Odisha legislator - Apr 03, 2012
- Maoist shutdown hits road, rail traffic in Orissa (Lead) - Jul 07, 2010
- Maoists scale down demand for Hikaka's release (Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
Tags: arun, assembly seat, battalions, block roads, hurdles, interior pockets, Lok Sabha, maoist, maoists, member state, mobile towers, orissa, paramilitary forces, poll boycott, sarangi, security arrangements, special security, state assembly, state policemen, troubled areas