Maoists attack poll stations, burn voting machines in Orissa (Lead)April 16th, 2009 - 12:13 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, April 16 (IANS) Maoist rebels attacked at least four polling stations and set fire to several electronic voting machines (EVMs) and a vehicle in Orissa while voting for the first phase of general and assembly elections was underway Thursday, police said.
“The rebels attacked four polling booths - three in Malkangiri district and one in Sundergarh district. Poling was affected in the three places,” Sudhanshu Sarangi, inspector general of police (anti-Maoist operations), told IANS.
The rebels attacked poll centres in Mahulpada village in Sundergarh as well as Andrahill village and two places in the interior Kalimela area in Malkangiri.
“In Andrahill village, the rebels burnt voting machines and a poll vehicle,” District Superintendent of Police Satyabrata Bhoi told IANS.
The Maoists have called for a complete boycott of the polls in the state. Malkangiri district is considered a stronghold of the guerrillas.
On Wednesday, the rebels felled trees and dug up roads in Malkangiri, Koraput and Rayagada districts to create hurdles for poll officials.
Orissa will elect 147 members to the state assembly and 21 members to the Lok Sabha on April 16 and April 23.
The fate of 72 candidates for 10 Lok Sabha seats and 599 candidates for 70 assembly seats will be decided by 12.6 million voters in the first phase Thursday.
- Voting slow in Orissa, Maoists attack polling stations (Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Maoists attack poll booth, burn voting machines in Orissa - Apr 16, 2009
- Maoist threat keeps hundreds in Orissa away from polls - Apr 16, 2009
- Maoists kill poll candidate in Orissa - Apr 09, 2009
- Maoist shutdown hits life in Orissa district - Apr 28, 2011
- Over 52 percent voting in Orissa amid Maoist attack (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Maoists block roads in Orissa, call for poll boycott - Apr 15, 2009
- At least 17 killed as Maoists attack election officials (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Maoist held for Orissa leader's murder - Sep 27, 2009
- Maoists blow up school building in Orissa - Jul 06, 2010
- Violent start to polling in Maoist areas, 11 killed (Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Orissa Police initiates action against Maoists who killed Malkangiri tribals - Apr 12, 2011
- Maoists blow up panchayat office in Orissa - May 30, 2010
- Ten Naxal strikes in five states on polling day, at least 11 killed - Apr 16, 2009
- Maoists attack Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand and Orissa to disrupt polling - Apr 16, 2009
Tags: 6 million, assembly elections, assembly seats, boycott, district superintendent, electronic voting machines, evms, fate, guerrillas, hurdles, inspector general, lok sabha seats, maoist, maoist rebels, maoists, orissa, polling booths, polling stations, state assembly, stronghold