Maoists attack poll booth, burn voting machines in OrissaApril 16th, 2009 - 11:14 am ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, April 16 (IANS) Maoist rebels attacked a polling booth and set fire to voting machines and a vehicle in Orissa’s Malkangiri district while voting for the first phase of general and assembly elections was underway Thursday, police said.
“The rebels attacked the polling booth in Andrahill village. They burnt voting machines and a poll vehicle,” District Superintendent of Police Satyabrata Bhoi told IANS.
“As per information reaching here, the rebels also attacked two more booths in the interior region of Kalimela. We are verifying it,” he added.
The Maoists have called for a complete boycott of the polls in the state. The Malkangiri district is considered as a stronghold of the guerrillas.
On Wednesday, the rebels felled trees and dug up roads in Malkangiri, Koraput and Rayagada districts to create hurdles for poll officials.
Orissa will elect 147 members to the state assembly and 21 members to the Lok Sabha simultaneously on April 16 and April 23.
The fate of 72 candidates for 10 Lok Sabha seats and 599 candidates for 70 assembly seats will be decided by 12.6 million voters in the first phase Thursday.
- Maoists attack poll stations, burn voting machines in Orissa (Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Voting slow in Orissa, Maoists attack polling stations (Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Maoist threat keeps hundreds in Orissa away from polls - Apr 16, 2009
- Maoists block roads in Orissa, call for poll boycott - Apr 15, 2009
- Maoists kill poll candidate in Orissa - Apr 09, 2009
- Over 52 percent voting in Orissa amid Maoist attack (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Maoist shutdown hits life in Orissa district - Apr 28, 2011
- Voting begins in Orissa amidst tight security - Apr 16, 2009
- Bastar votes in by-poll amid Maoist firing (Lead) - May 08, 2011
- Bengal polls end with heavy voting in Maoist heartland (Intro Roundup) - May 10, 2011
- Maoists kill two officials during Bihar panchayat polls - May 15, 2011
- Bihar holds second phase of panchayat polls - Apr 24, 2011
- Maoists attack Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand and Orissa to disrupt polling - Apr 16, 2009
- Bihar panchayat polls' ninth phase marred by Maoist violence (Lead) - May 15, 2011
- Bastar records 40 percent polling amid Maoist blasts, firing (Second Lead) - May 08, 2011
Tags: assembly elections, assembly seats, bhubaneswar, booths, boycott, district superintendent, guerrillas, hurdles, interior region, lok sabha seats, maoist, maoist rebels, maoists, orissa, poll booth, polling booth, set fire, state assembly, stronghold, voting machines