Maoists ambush CRPF patrol in Chhattisgarh, nine killed (Lead)April 10th, 2009 - 9:47 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, April 10 (IANS) Armed Maoists ambushed a security forces patrol, killing nine Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel, including an officer and injuring eight troopers, in Chhattisgarh’s restive Bastar region Friday. Three ultras were also gunned down.
The police said over 100 Maoists, armed with AK-47s, ambushed a joint CRPF and District Forces patrol in a forested village in Dantewada district’s Chintagufa area, about 445 km south of capital Raipur.
“It was an ambush. Nine CRPF men, including a deputy commandant Diwakar, were killed and eight other personnel received bullet wounds in a three-hour long gun battle that ended around 3.30 p.m.,” Rahul Sharma, Dantewada district superintendent of police, told IANS.
Those killed and injured belong to the 55th battalion of the CRPF, the official said.
Pawan Deo, deputy inspector general, police headquarters, said most of the injured personnel, including an assistant commandant, were taken to Dornapal in Dantewada while a few were shifted to a government hospital at Jagdalpur town in Bastar district.
Maoists have stepped up violence in the state since the announcement of Lok Sabha polls last month and ordered people to stay away from the poll process.
- CRPF officer killed, 10 others injured in Maoist attack - Apr 10, 2009
- Nine CPRF men, three Maoists killed in Chhattisgarh (Second Lead) - Apr 11, 2009
- Three CRPF men killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attack (Second Lead) - Jun 11, 2011
- Three CRPF men killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attack (Lead) - Jun 11, 2011
- Security forces kill 17 Maoists (Lead) - Jun 29, 2012
- Maoists attack Chhattisgarh police station, no casualty (Lead) - Jun 13, 2011
- Maoists attack police station in Chhattisgarh - Jun 13, 2011
- Maoist strike cripples Chhattisgarh, 8 cops injured (Lead) - May 17, 2012
- Maoists kill 26 security personnel in deadly Chhattisgarh attack (Night Lead) - Jun 30, 2010
- Maoists kill five security men in Chhattisgarh (Second Lead) - Aug 29, 2010
- CRPF kill 9 Maoists in Bastar gunfight, rebels strike back (Second Lead) - Nov 23, 2010
- 10 killed as Maoists trap police party in ambush (Third Lead) - Aug 20, 2011
- Maoists blow up CRPF vehicle, kill trooper in Chhattisgarh - Aug 06, 2012
- CRPF turns heat on Maoists, nine killed in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Nov 23, 2010
- Five policemen killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attacks - Jun 27, 2011
Tags: ak 47s, assistant commandant, bastar district, bullet wounds, chhattisgarh, deo, deputy commandant, deputy inspector general, district superintendent, diwakar, government hospital, gun battle, lok sabha polls, maoists, pawan, police force, police headquarters, rahul sharma, reserve police, security forces