Maoist threat keeps hundreds in Orissa away from pollsApril 16th, 2009 - 6:48 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, April 16 (IANS) Hundreds of villagers in two Orissa districts Thursday stayed away from the elections due to the poll-boycott threat by Maoists who attacked four polling stations and burnt several voting machines during the first phase of ballotting in the state, officials said.
Maoists gave a call to boycott polls across the state and even threatened to chop off the hands of people who go to cast their votes.
“In at least seven polling stations, nobody came to cast votes in our district,” Satyabrata Bhoi, Malkangiri district police chief, told IANS. Malkangiri is considered a Maoist stronghold in the state.
Reports reaching here suggest that people in several villages of neighbouring Rayagada district also did not cast their votes. Rayagada is another Maoist-dominated region.
Malkangiri has recorded 35 percent voting, while in Rayagada it was 44 percent, officials said.
In the first phase of elections, voting was held for 10 Lok Sabha seats and 70 assembly constituencies in Orissa. The next phase in the state will be held April 23.
The Maoist rebels attacked four polling centres - three in Malkangiri district and one in Sundargarh district.
- Voting slow in Orissa, Maoists attack polling stations (Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Maoists attack poll booth, burn voting machines in Orissa - Apr 16, 2009
- Maoists attack poll stations, burn voting machines in Orissa (Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- At least 17 killed as Maoists attack election officials (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- 56 percent turnout in fourth phase of Bihar panchayat polls (Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- Sporadic violence mars Bihar's panchayat polls (Lead) - Apr 24, 2011
- Sporadic violence mars Bihar second phase polls (Second Lead) - Apr 24, 2011
- Bihar panchayat polls see 60 percent turnout (Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- Seventh round of Bihar panchayat polls continues peacefully (Lead) - May 09, 2011
- Maoists block roads in Orissa, call for poll boycott - Apr 15, 2009
- Violent start to polling in Maoist areas, 11 killed (Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Over 52 percent voting in Orissa amid Maoist attack (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Bomb blast mars Bihar panchayat polls (Lead) - Apr 20, 2011
- Police officer's killing mars Bihar panchayat polls (Second Lead) - Apr 20, 2011
- Bihar conducts fifth phase of panchayat polls - May 03, 2011
Tags: assembly constituencies, boycott threat, district police, elections, lok sabha seats, maoist, maoist rebels, maoists, orissa districts, police chief, poll boycott, polling stations, polls, state officials, stronghold, voting machines