Maoist strike hits ChhattisgarhMay 16th, 2012 - 6:10 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, May 16 (IANS) A shutdown called by Maoists crippled life in parts of Chhattisgarh Wednesday, with the rebels resorting to firing and putting up road blocks besides killing a trader.
Most of the disturbances were reported from Bastar and Rajnandgaon districts, which form the Maoist strongholds and border Andhra Pradesh, Odisha and Maharashtra.
According to police sources, a trader was killed at Pakhanjur. No further details were available.
To enforce the shutdown, the Maoists began blocking roads at Konta, Gorgunda, Polampalli and Chintur by digging and felling trees at half a dozen places on the road leading to Boddogumma in Andhra Pradesh.
As a result, buses plying locally as well as on long routes from Jagdalpur to Hyderabad did not ply.
Railway services were too affected.
The Communist Party of India-Maoist wants the army pulled out of Bastar, operations against it halted and tribals and other activists arrested for suspected Maoist links to be released.
- Maoist strike cripples Chhattisgarh, 8 cops injured (Lead) - May 17, 2012
- Maoists' shutdown call hits life in Chhattisgarh - Jul 30, 2012
- Man killed by Maoists during Chhattisgarh shutdown (Lead) - Oct 23, 2010
- Maoist shutdown hits life in Chhattisgarh's Bastar - Oct 23, 2010
- Maoists block highway, damage rail track in Chhattisgarh - Dec 05, 2011
- Shutdown begins in Chhattisgarh amid fears of more attacks - May 18, 2010
- Maoist strike hits life, iron ore shipment in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Jul 07, 2010
- Maoists kill villager, blast Chitrakot police post (Second Lead) - Feb 07, 2011
- Two killed in Chhattisgarh on Maoist stir's first day (Lead) - May 21, 2011
- Maoists kill three, as shutdown hits Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Jul 01, 2010
- Fearful in Chhattisgarh day after Maoist strike (Lead) - May 18, 2010
- Maoists blast in tourist destination Chitrakot - Feb 07, 2011
- Maoist strike begins in Chhattisgarh - Jul 07, 2010
- Maoists shutdown hits life in Chhattisgarh interiors - May 21, 2011
- Maoist strike hits life in interior Chhattisgarh - Jul 01, 2010
Tags: activists, army, bastar, buses, communist party of india, felling trees, half a dozen, jagdalpur, maharashtra, maoist, maoists, odisha, police sources, railway services, rebels, road blocks, strongholds