Manmohan’s name for presidency a Congress gimmick: CPIJune 13th, 2012 - 10:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 13 (IANS) The CPI Wednesday said it will not support a Congress candidate for the presidential polls and dismissed the move of the Samajawadi Party and Trinamool Congress suggesting Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s name for the high office as a “political gimmick”.
“The Congress has to be opposed for its failure… it (the UPA) is the most non-performing government… the prime minister is non-functional… It is a political gimmick by the Congress,” Communist Party of India leader Gurudas Dasgupta told a TV channel.
His comments came after Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav and Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee together announced the name of Singh, along with those of former president APJ Abdul Kalam and former Lok Sabha speaker Somnath Chatterjee for the July 19 presidential election.
Stating that the CPI has no name to suggest, Dasgupta said the dark horse from the Congress stable was yet to emerge.
“The dark horse is still not in sight,” he said.
- Kalam should not contest presidential poll: Somnath - Jun 16, 2012
- Congress for consensus over confrontation on presidential poll - Jun 14, 2012
- India's next president: still mired in uncertainty (Roundup) - Jun 14, 2012
- Left yet to take a call on presidential polls: Biman Bose - Jun 14, 2012
- Manmohan, Kalam or Somnath for president: SP, Trinamool - Jun 13, 2012
- Trinamool accuses Pranab of trying to break party (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Kalam the best candidate for president: Mamata - Jun 14, 2012
- Had no other option but support Pranab: SP - Jun 16, 2012
- Mamata to skip UPA meet, dares Congress to snap ties (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Mukherjee will now win by bigger margin, says Congress - Jul 17, 2012
- Kalam hails Mamata's leadership qualities, honesty - Jun 19, 2012
- Met Sonia over presidential poll: Mulayam - Jun 16, 2012
- Raisina Hill race: Trinamool may tap NDA for support - Jun 18, 2012
- Left intellectual questions call for consensus on Pranab - Jun 20, 2012
- We will support Congress choice for president: Lalu Prasad - Jun 14, 2012
Tags: abdul kalam, communist party of india, congress candidate, CPI, dark horse, dasgupta, gurudas, india leader, Lok Sabha, mamata banerjee, manmohan, manmohan singh, party chief, political gimmick, presidential polls, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, somnath chatterjee, trinamool congress chief, yadav