Manmohan, Kalam or Somnath for president: SP, Trinamool (Lead)June 13th, 2012 - 8:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 13 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, former president A.P.J. Abdul Kalam and former Lok Sabha speaker Somnath Chatterjee are the three people favoured by the Samajwadi Party (SP) and the Trinamool Congress to be India’s next president.
The surprise choices were announced at a joint press conference by SP’s Mulayam Singh Yadav and Trinamool’s Mamata Banerjee.
“We discussed three names … A.P.J. AbdulKalam, Manmohan Singh and Somanth Chatterjee,” Yadav told reporters.
He also appealed to all political parties to arrive at a consensus and support any one of the three.
“We decided the names based on the persons who are honest, know the constitution and can work for the nation. It will be good to have a president elected unanimously by all political parties,” Banerjee said.
Both leaders denied having priority for any one of the candidates, saying it is for the political parties to support one of them.
When asked about Congress’s choice of Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee or Vice President Hamid Ansari, Banerjee said that was the Congress’ choice and not theirs.
Before meeting Yadav, Banerjee had met Congress chief Sonia Gandhi, where she was informed about party’s choice of Mukherjee or Ansari.
- We have not rejected any name: Samajwadi Party - Jun 14, 2012
- Capital drama: Manmohan joins Pranab in presidential roulette (Roundup) - Jun 13, 2012
- Manmohan, Kalam or Somnath for president: SP, Trinamool - Jun 13, 2012
- Mamata plays pivotal role in presidential talk (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Kalam should not contest presidential poll: Somnath - Jun 16, 2012
- India's next president: still mired in uncertainty (Roundup) - Jun 14, 2012
- Mamata sends 'advance congratulations' to Kalam - Jun 15, 2012
- Left yet to take a call on presidential polls: Biman Bose - Jun 14, 2012
- Sonia meets Congress leaders, DMK (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Bengal Congress lashes out at Mamata for rejecting Pranab - Jun 14, 2012
- We will support Congress choice for president: Lalu Prasad - Jun 14, 2012
- Contest imminent if Congress goes ahead with Pranab: Trinamool - Jun 14, 2012
- Kalam the best candidate for president: Mamata - Jun 14, 2012
- Game not over yet, won't say anything about Mulayam: Mamata (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Had no other option but support Pranab: SP - Jun 16, 2012
Tags: abdul kalam, abdulkalam, asiannews, congress chief, finance minister, hamid ansari, Lok Sabha, mamata, manmohan, manmohan singh, mulayam singh yadav, pranab mukherjee, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, Samajwadi Party, somnath chatterjee, sonia gandhi, surprise choices, three names, trinamool congress