Manikrao Thakre named Maharashtra Congress chief (Lead)August 17th, 2008 - 10:16 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 17 (IANS) Manikrao Thakre, a former state Youth Congress president, was Sunday appointed the chief of the Maharashtra unit of the Congress party while former minister Kripa Shankar Singh was named the party’s Mumbai unit chief. The All India Congress Committee also appointed MP and former Mumbai Congress president Gurudas Kamat as the party’s state election campaign committee chief, an AICC spokesperson said.
While the appointments of Thakre, until now the party’s Yavatmal district unit chief, and Kripa Shankar Singh were widely anticipated, the crucial post of the campaign committee chief went to Kamat after Revenue Minister Narayan Rane reportedly refused to take up the assignment.
A veteran in the Maharashtra Congress, Thakre, hailing from Vidarbha’s Yavatmal district, has held important portfolios in the state cabinet headed by Sharad Pawar, Vilasrao Deshmukh and Sushilkumar Shinde besides doing a successful stint as the party’s Maharashtra youth wing president.
Both Thakre and Singh are considered to be close to Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh who has been at the receiving end of a vicious campaign by Rane.
Rane, a Shiv Sena rebel who joined the Congress three years ago, had the support of former state unit chief Prabha Rau and AICC general secretary in-charge of Maharashtra Margaret Alva in his campaign against the chief minister, according to party sources.
Rau was appointed Himachal Pradesh governor last month.
Kamat, who quit the post of the party’s Mumbai unit chief earlier this year on completion of his five-year term, has been credited with the victory of five out of six Congress candidates from the metropolis in the 2004 Lok Sabha elections.
- Sonia to select Mumbai, Maharashtra Congress chiefs - Sep 14, 2010
- Thakre appointed Maharashtra Congress chief - Aug 17, 2008
- Not many choices before Congress to replace Ashok Chavan - Oct 31, 2010
- Low key I-Day celebrations in Maharashtra - Aug 15, 2012
- Rane kept in limbo, Vilasrao loyalist to be Maharashtra Congress chief - Aug 14, 2008
- Congress, NCP to hold seat-sharing talks Tuesday - Sep 15, 2009
- Food security bill to be brought soon: Sonia Gandhi - Oct 15, 2010
- Maharashtra may ban controversial book on Gandhi - Mar 30, 2011
- Party has lost a visionary in Prabha Rau's death: Congress - Apr 26, 2010
- High voltage Maharashtra municipal poll campaign ends - Feb 14, 2012
- Congress legislators in Maharashtra complain about Chavan - Jul 24, 2012
- 10 new faces in Ashok Chavan's new ministry - Nov 08, 2009
- AICC resolution says Deshmukh moved up from grassroots - Aug 15, 2012
- Congress suspends two leaders for indiscipline - Feb 01, 2012
- Maharashtra governor recovering from arterial surgery - Jan 12, 2012
Tags: campaign committee, chief minister, committee chief, congress candidates, congress party, congress president, gurudas kamat, india congress committee, lok sabha elections, narayan rane, revenue minister, shankar singh, sharad pawar, shinde, state cabinet, state election campaign, unit chief, vicious campaign, vilasrao deshmukh, youth congress