Manik Sarkar to attend chief ministers’ meetApril 15th, 2012 - 4:05 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, April 15 (IANS) Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar, who along with a few other chief ministers had forced the central government to convene a special meeting on setting up of National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC), left here Sunday to attend Monday’s crucial meet in New Delhi.
A Tripura government official said here Sunday that the April 16 meeting, which will be inaugurated by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, would review the internal security situation in the country.
Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram would hold a separate meeting on the NCTC with the chief ministers May 5.
“Tripura chief minister would likely to raise the contentious issue of NCTC in the Monday’s meeting,” the official said.
Sarkar, also a Communist Party of India-Marxist politburo member, earlier in a letter to the prime minister strongly opposed the proposed counter-terror intelligence centre and demanded a meeting of chief ministers.
Many non-Congress ruled states including West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, her Odisha counterpart Naveen Patnaik and Tamil Nadu counterpart J.Jayalalithaa besides Tripura chief minister have opposed the NCTC alleging that in its present form it amounts to infringement of the states’ powers.
- Chief ministers to meet on NCTC - Mar 16, 2012
- Opposition CMs lambast government for security overreach (Roundup) - Apr 16, 2012
- Tripura also opposes anti-terror hub - Feb 18, 2012
- Punjab cabinet rejects NCTC proposal - Feb 24, 2012
- 'NCTC tantamount to encroaching on state rights' - May 05, 2012
- Mizoram CM supports NCTC - May 09, 2012
- Patnaik demands chief ministers' meeting over NCTC - Feb 29, 2012
- Patnaik asks other states to protest anti-terror body - Feb 15, 2012
- PM writes to chief ministers on anti-terror hub - Feb 21, 2012
- Jayalalithaa, Modi and Patnaik meet (Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- Anti-NCTC chief ministers meet separately - Apr 16, 2012
- Opposition attacks government on NCTC, PM reaches out (Afternoon Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- Differences over NCTC, but consensus possible: PM - Mar 19, 2012
- Government wins first NCTC battle, defeats opposition amendments (Roundup) - Mar 19, 2012
- Mamata joins chorus against Chidambaram's ant-terror hub (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,