Mani Shankar Aiyar fails to retain MayiladuthuraiMay 17th, 2009 - 1:10 am ICT by IANS
Chennai, May 16 (IANS) Lady luck did not smile on Panchayati Raj Minister Mani Shankar Aiyar of the Congress as he failed to retain the Mayiladuthurai Lok Sabha seat in Tamil Nadu for a third consecutive term, and fourth overall, losing to the AIADMK’s O.S. Maniyan by 36,000 votes.
For Maniyan it was sweet revenge as he had lost to Aiyar in 2004 by a huge margin.
Aiyar, 68, was elected from Mayiladuthurai in 1991, 1999 and 2004 and was confident that the new generation of voters would acknowledge his work in the constituency.
However, the anti-incumbency factor, the Sri Lankan Tamils’ issue and the unresolved Cauvery water dispute with Karnataka seems to have cost him the seat this time.
“The MMK party split the Muslim vote which in turn affected Aiyar’s prospects in Mayiladuthurai,” D. Sudharsanam, leader of Tamil Nadu Congress Legislature Party, told IANS.
Mayiladuthurai legislator S. Rajkumar said: “We also lost the fishermen’s vote totalling around 26,000. The DMKD party floated by Vijaykant too ate into our vote share to the extent of 40,000 votes.”
He said the Congress lost votes in the Poompuhar and Papanasam assembly constituencies.
- Captain's knock - Vijaykant scores 0/40 but helps Chidambaram - May 17, 2009
- Tamil Nadu agriculture minister loses - May 13, 2011
- DMK-PMK in pact for Tamil Nadu elections (Lead) - Feb 18, 2011
- Polling ends in Tamil Nadu's Trichy West, Puducherry's Indira Nagar - Oct 13, 2011
- DMK's hold on Congress likely to tighten - May 16, 2009
- AIADMK, AINRC win by-polls in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry - Oct 20, 2011
- Major upsets in the elections - May 13, 2011
- AIADMK sweeps Tamil Nadu, DMK stunned (Second Lead) - May 13, 2011
- DMK seals one more deal - Mar 02, 2011
- Congress hints at power sharing in Tamil Nadu - Mar 15, 2011
- Anti-incumbency favoured AIADMK: Congress - May 13, 2011
- AIADMK, DMDK agree on poll pact - Mar 04, 2011
- Pro-Dalit outfit, MMK form alliance in Tamil Nadu - Apr 15, 2009
- DMK to contest Oct 13 by-poll - Sep 19, 2011
- BJP, Aiyar embarrass government on CWG (Lead) - Jul 27, 2010
Tags: aiadmk, assembly constituencies, cauvery water dispute, chennai, congress legislature party, constituency, fishermen, incumbency, lady luck, legislator, Lok Sabha, mani shankar aiyar, mayiladuthurai, new generation, papanasam, poompuhar, rajkumar, sri lankan tamils, sweet revenge, vote share