Mandela’s daughter, grandchildren attacked after his birthday partyJuly 22nd, 2010 - 6:20 pm ICT by IANS
Cape Town, July 22 (DPA) A daughter and some of the grandchildren of former South African president Nelson Mandela were attacked by gunmen in Johannesburg as they returned home from a weekend birthday party for the 92-year-old statesman, police confirmed Thursday.
Zindzi Mandela and her children were approached by the two armed strangers in the driveway of their home early Sunday evening, according to police spokesman Govindsamy Mariemuthoo.
He said the driver of the car, Mandela’s daughter and the children were first ordered to lie on the ground. The attackers then reportedly walked away, but returned shortly after to search them.
One of the men suddenly fired a shot, leading the driver to return fire, Mariemuthoo said. No one was injured and the attackers fled.
Zindzi Mandela, 49, and the children had previously been at her father’s house to celebrate his birthday. The day was also marked by numerous events throughout South Africa in honour of the increasingly frail national hero.
It is the second blow to the Mandela family within a six-week span. Zenani Mandela, the 13-year-old great-granddaughter of Nelson Mandela and granddaughter of Zindzi Mandela, died in a car crash shortly before the June 11 opening of the World Cup.
- Mandela won't attend World Cup opening ceremony (Second Lead) - Jun 11, 2010
- Nelson Mandela's great granddaughter killed in a car crash - Jun 11, 2010
- Nelson Mandela's great-granddaughter killed in car crash after World Cup concert - Jun 11, 2010
- Thousands to honour Mandela on 92nd birthday by doing good - Jul 16, 2010
- Mandela's great-granddaughter killed in car crash - Jun 11, 2010
- Nelson Mandela's Great-Granddaughter Killed In Car Crash - Jun 12, 2010
- Mandela will not attend World Cup opening ceremony (Lead) - Jun 11, 2010
- Grieving Mandela won't attend opening World Cup match - Jun 11, 2010
- Naomi Campbell's video tribute to Mandela's great-granddaughter - Jun 19, 2010
- Nelson Mandela admitted to hospital - Jan 27, 2011
- Campbell wants kids, but only when she is ready - Sep 02, 2010
- Freeman, Theron among celebs to attend World Cup final - Jul 10, 2010
- Uncertainty over Mandela's attendance at World Cup final - Jul 09, 2010
- South Africa celebrates 20 years of Mandela's walk to freedom - Feb 11, 2010
- Mandela reveals misery over family's suffering in new book - Oct 13, 2010
Tags: attackers, birthday party, cape town, car crash, grandchildren, great granddaughter, gunmen, honour, johannesburg, national hero, nelson mandela, president nelson mandela, south africa, south african president, span, spokesman, statesman, sunday evening, world cup, zindzi mandela