Mandela in good health: ZumaJuly 12th, 2012 - 9:52 am ICT by IANS
Johannesburg, July 12 (IANS) Former South African president Nelson Mandela is in good health, incumbent Jacob Zuma said after paying a visit to Mandela’s rural home in Qunu village in Eastern Cape province.
Zuma’s visit comes before Mandela turns 94 July 18, Xinhua reported.
Presidential spokesperson Mac Maharaj said Zuma and Mandela had lunch together.
“It was a delight to see him as always. I was particularly happy that I had an opportunity to give him good wishes for his upcoming birthday,” Zuma said in a statement.
“I also informed him that as usual, all South Africans are waiting for the 18th, preparing to wish him a happy birthday in every possible way,” Zuma added.
Zuma took the opportunity to brief Mandela about the construction of the Nelson Mandela Legacy Bridge, being built in his honour at a cost of over $15 million. The bridge will connect Mandela’s village with many places in the province.
Mandela, who was imprisoned for 27 years during the apartheid, was elected the country’s first black president in 1994.
- Mandela in good health: Official - Jan 28, 2012
- 12 mn school kids wish Mandela with birthday song - Jul 18, 2012
- Former South African President Mandela goes home to rest - May 23, 2011
- Millions of South African students greet Mandela on birthday - Jul 18, 2011
- South Africa celebrates Nelson Mandela's 93rd birthday - Jul 18, 2011
- Nelson Mandela discharged from hospital (Lead) - Feb 26, 2012
- Nelson Mandela hospitalised after stomach complaint (Lead) - Feb 25, 2012
- Thousands to honour Mandela on 92nd birthday by doing good - Jul 16, 2010
- Mandela looks healthy on TV - May 31, 2012
- Dlamini-Zuma: AU's first woman boss wears victory lightly (Profile) - Jul 16, 2012
- South Africa found it inconvenient to grant visa: Dalai Lama (Lead) - Oct 07, 2011
- Special children celebrate Nelson Mandela Day (With image) - Jul 18, 2012
- Michelle Obama arrives in South Africa - Jun 21, 2011
- Mandela discharged from hospital - Feb 26, 2012
- Prince Charles to visit South Africa - Oct 14, 2011
Tags: apartheid, eastern cape province, first black president, good health, happy birthday, honour, incumbent, jacob zuma, johannesburg, legacy, lunch, mac maharaj, nelson mandela, president nelson mandela, rural home, south african president, south africans, spokesperson, xinhua, zuma