Manali-Leh highway to shut June 28June 24th, 2010 - 3:01 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, June 24 (IANS) The Manali-Leh highway will be closed June 28 when United Progressive Alliance (UPA) chairperson Sonia Gandhi visits Himachal Pradesh’s Kullu district, an official said Thursday.
“Sonia Gandhi is coming to lay the foundation stone of Rohtang Tunnel in the Solang Valley,” Deputy Commissioner B.M. Nanta told IANS on telephone from Kullu town.
He said no vehicle bound for Ladakh in Jammu and Kashmir and Keylong in Lahaul and Spiti district would be allowed beyond Kothi, about 30 km from Manali.
The National Highway 21 that passes through Rohtang Pass, 52 km from Manali, is a major attraction for tourists.
“Every Tuesday, the Rohtang Pass is closed for tourists for nine hours from 9 a.m. due to widening work. But this time we have decided to close it one day in advance. It will remain open Tuesday,” he added.
Defence Minister A.K. Antony, Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal and his Jammu and Kashmir counterpart Omar Abdullah will also be present during the stone-laying ceremony.
Rohtang Tunnel is expected to be the world’s longest tunnel at over 13,000 ft. It has been constructed at a cost of Rs.1,495 crore.
It will pave the way for round-the-year road access to the Lahaul Valley in Lahaul and Spiti, which otherwise remains cut off by snow for half of the year.
The tunnel is expected to be ready by 2015 and will serve as a nerve centre for the Indian Army to carry supplies to Ladakh.
Gandhi will fly to the Solang Valley, 275 km from Shimla, at around 11 a.m. to lay the foundation stone for the tunnel. She will also address a public rally.
- Tight security ahead of Gandhi's visit - Jun 25, 2010
- Manali-Leh road link may be used round-the-year - Jun 26, 2010
- Rohtang Tunnel work launched by Sonia Gandhi - Jun 28, 2010
- Sonia Gandhi to lay Rohtang tunnel foundation Monday - Jun 25, 2010
- Sonia to lay Rohtang tunnel's foundation stone June 28 - Jun 03, 2010
- Snow clearing work begins on Manali-Leh highway - Mar 01, 2011
- Himalayan tunnel will be engineering marvel (With images) - Jun 20, 2010
- Solang awaits Sonia to launch ambitious tunnel work - Jun 27, 2010
- Work on Rohtang tunnel partially suspended after snowfall - Nov 21, 2010
- With press of a button, Sonia launches Rohtang tunnel construction (Lead) - Jun 28, 2010
- Diverting avalanches! More tech marvels unfold in Rohtang - Mar 15, 2012
- Sonia Gandhi lays foundation stone for Rohtang tunnel - Jun 28, 2010
- Working 24X7 to see light at the end of Rohtang tunnel - Jan 15, 2012
- Rohtang tunnel will boost tourism, provide employment: Sonia - Jun 28, 2010
- A mega tunnel under the 'pile of dead bodies' - Jun 27, 2010
Tags: chief minister, defence minister, deputy commissioner, foundation stone, indian army, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kothi, kullu district, ladakh, lahaul and spiti district, nanta, nerve centre, prem kumar, progressive alliance, public rally, rohtang pass, shimla, sonia gandhi, spiti