Mamata’s bid to create dent in Congress bastionAugust 29th, 2012 - 8:13 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 29 (IANS) In a bid to dent Congress bastions in the state, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Wednesday held a rally at Baharampur of Murshidabad district and announced several steps for the overall development of the area.
Murshidabad district - one of the strongest and safest bastions of Congress - has often been termed as an “impregnable Congress fort” led by MP Adhir Chaudhury.
With state panchayat polls round the door, Banerjee’s official visit to the district and announcement of development projects is being seen as a bid to increase the influence of Trinamool Congress in the district.
“We will build schools and hospitals in the area. We will take up financial packages for the development of the area, especially the backward sections,” said Banerjee.
Such is Chaudhury’s hold over the district, that in 2004 he persuaded President Pranab Mukherjee - till then derisively called a ‘rootless wanderer’ for his inability to win direct elections - to contest from Jangipur which subsequently elected him twice to the Lok Sabha.
In the past six months, alliance partners Congress and Trinamool Congress have locked horns over various issues with the Congress accusing the latter of misrule.
- Jangipur celebrates but some sadness at losing MP Pranabda - Jul 22, 2012
- Congress rebels worry Trinamool in Murshidabad - Apr 22, 2011
- Mamata's war cry at Congress fortress (West Bengal Newsletter) - Sep 01, 2012
- Mamata's war cry in Congress fortress (West Bengal Newsletter) (Lead) - Sep 01, 2012
- Pranab vs Mamata: A tale of differences behind show of bonhomie - Jun 14, 2012
- 'Pranab's son wants to fill father's Lok Sabha seat' - Jul 24, 2012
- Sonia lambasts Left Front, sends strong message to dissidents (Lead) - Apr 20, 2011
- Jolted by Trinamool, Congress to discuss developments - Mar 18, 2011
- Trinamool wins in Bengal's political flashpoints - May 16, 2011
- Jolted by Trinamool, Congress to wait for Sonia's return (Lead) - Mar 18, 2011
- Indira Bhawan renaming: Another Trinamool-Congress tussle looms (West Bengal Newsletter) - Jan 01, 2012
- Not the best of times for Mamata Banerjee (West Bengal Newsletter) - Jun 23, 2012
- Mamata strips non-Trinamool panchayat heads of power - Mar 27, 2012
- Pranab files nomination, eyes second Lok Sabha win (Lead, Changing dateline) - Apr 13, 2009
- Congress may go it alone in Bengal panchayat polls - Apr 07, 2012
Tags: alliance partners, bastion, bastions, chaudhury, chief minister, development projects, horns, hospitals, impregnable, Lok Sabha, mamata banerjee, mp, polls, pranab mukherjee, rally, several steps, six months, trinamool congress, wanderer, west bengal