Mamata visits Somnath ChatterjeeMay 18th, 2011 - 12:43 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 17 (IANS) West Bengal’s chief minister-in-waiting Mamata Banerjee Tuesday called on former Lok Sabha speaker and expelled Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader Somnath Chatterjee at his south Kolkata residence.
Accompanied by Mayor Sovan Chattopadhyay, and some other leaders, Banerjee spent some time at Chatterjee’s house, virtually mobbed by a large posse of mediapersons.
The police had a torrid time in controlling the large crowd of onlookers who assembled to have a glimpse of Banerjee, who described the meeting as a “courtesy call”.
Soon after Banerjee’s Trinamool Congress and its allies won an overwhelming majority Friday routing the Left Front, Chatterjee had written a letter congratulating her on the success.
“Her visit has overwhelmed me. I am very happy. I have told her to march ahead,” said the octogenarian Chatterjee.
Chatterjee also appealed to Banerjee to ensure the return of peace in areas of Bengal which were witnessing largescale post-poll clashes.
- Bengal industry minister meets Somnath Chatterjee - Jun 21, 2011
- CII delegation meets Mamata - May 19, 2011
- Buddhadeb, Biman, Mamata at same function - at long last - May 20, 2011
- An eco-tourism park to come up near Kolkata - Jul 20, 2011
- Mamata kicks off Bengal assembly poll campaign - Mar 27, 2011
- Men who will matter in Mamata's Bengal - May 13, 2011
- CPI-M should introspect from top to bottom: Somnath - May 13, 2011
- Mamata hints at siphoning of funds during Left's rule - Aug 22, 2011
- Organisers vie to get celebrities at Durga Puja - Oct 12, 2010
- Mamata to lay foundation stone of new film city - Aug 07, 2011
- Soumitra, Mithun to be honoured by West Bengal government - Jul 18, 2012
- Thefts silence Rabindrasangeet at traffic signals - Sep 09, 2011
- Bengal parties on foundation stone-laying, inauguration spree - Feb 27, 2011
- Battle for Bengal: Mamata juggernaut rolls out - Apr 07, 2011
- Low key birthday as Mamata turns 57 - Jan 05, 2012
Tags: allies, chief minister, clashes, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, courtesy call, CPI, glimpse, kolkata, large crowd, Lok Sabha, mamata banerjee, onlookers, overwhelming majority, peace, post poll, torrid time, trinamool congress, west bengal