Mamata urges people to fight MaoistsNovember 11th, 2011 - 9:00 pm ICT by IANS
Purulia (West Bengal), Nov 11 (IANS) Calling upon Maoists to lay down arms and return to the mainstream, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Friday assured the people of this rebel-dominated district that the government will undertake several developmental projects in the area and urged them to fight against the guerrillas.
“For what are we fighting? The fight is against under development…the fight is for getting jobs. The fight is for survival. Maoists will give you threats. They will be rich by killing innocent persons. Will you allow this? You people bring changes in Bengal. You can fight against CPI-M, cannot you fight against the Maoists?” Banerjee told a rally at Balarampur here.
Urging the people of the district to get together to fight against the rebels, she said, “Do not give shelters to them. Do not be afraid. We want peace.”
She reiterated that the Trinamool Congress-led government will provide ‘food, clothes and house’ to the rebels who lay down arms and said the government was ready to give ‘everything’ to the guerrillas who surrender.
“I am not your enemy, but killers are my enemy. I do not want to use arms against arms. I am against arms. If you lay down arms, we will give you everything which you want.
“When people will not get food, they will snatch guns from you. So the fight is for development. Return to the main stream of life,” she said.
Banerjee assured the people that the government will take a slew of developmental projects in the district.
“We are carrying out many projects here. We are setting up a polytechnic college at Baghmundi… we will start separate department for minority people. We are building 326 upper-primary schools, 56 secondary schools will be upgraded to higher-secondary schools. We will give bicycles to the 11,000 school girls in Purulia,” she said.
She said the government was planning to develop Ayodha hills as a major tourism centre and will spend crores of rupees for that.
“We want Purulia to become a model. There will be stadiums, medical colleges and also an airport here,” she added.
- Didi carries 'Writers Buildings' to districts! (West Bengal Newsletter) - Nov 20, 2011
- Mamata invites Maoists for talks - Jul 20, 2011
- Food sops for tribals in Bengal's Maoist-affected areas - Jul 13, 2011
- Mamata announces sops for Maoist-hit zone (Lead) - Jul 12, 2011
- Arms or talks? Choose in seven days, Mamata tells Maoists - Oct 15, 2011
- Mamata Banerjee to visit Maoist hotbeds - Jul 10, 2011
- Maoists end ceasefire; Mamata says joint forces operation on - Nov 15, 2011
- Pro-Maoist group calls 24-hour shutdown Monday - Dec 18, 2010
- Mamata asks Maoists to lay down arms (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Mamata warns against infiltration of Maoists - Aug 08, 2012
- Kishenji eliminated in Didi's regime - an irony? (West Bengal Newsletter) - Nov 27, 2011
- Bengal aims at 60 days work under rural jobs scheme - Apr 24, 2012
- Surrender arms and talk: Mamata appeals to Maoists - Jul 08, 2011
- National body for controlling teachers largely welcomed - Sep 04, 2011
- Mamata hints at unleashing joint forces against Maoists - Nov 04, 2011
Tags: bicycles, chief minister, CPI, developmental projects, guerrillas, hellip, innocent persons, main stream, mamata banerjee, maoists, polytechnic college, rebels, rupees, school girls, secondary schools, slew, stream of life, tourism centre, trinamool congress, west bengal