Mamata threatens no-trust move against Somnath ChatterjeeJuly 11th, 2008 - 11:05 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 11 (IANS) Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee Friday threatened to bring a no-confidence motion against CPI-M MP and Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee if he did not step down from his post immediately in the wake of the Left parties withdrawing support to the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government. “Chatterjee must resign from his office without delay. The Left parties have already withdrawn support to the UPA government. It’s high time for him to go as well,” Banerjee told reporters at her Kolkata residence Friday.
“If the Speaker does not resign, we will move a no-confidence motion against him.”
“We are against the fall of the government. But it will be the Left parties’ dictatorship if Chatterjee continues to be the Speaker,” Banerjee added.
After the Left parties withdrew support to the UPA government, it led to a debate in the political circles on whether Chatterjee, who was elected from West Bengal’s Bolpur constituency on Left Front-partner Communist Party of India (CPI-M) ticket, should resign from his office, although his post is a constitutional one and not dependent on his party decision.
- Anybody supporting us is welcome to campaign: Karat (Lead) - Apr 21, 2011
- Karat denies CPI-M asked Somnath to campaign - Apr 21, 2011
- Vote for Left Front, appeals Somnath - Apr 20, 2011
- 21 Jagan loyalists to vote against Congress government - Dec 03, 2011
- OK if Somnath campaigns for CPI-M, says Yechury - Apr 15, 2011
- Andhra assembly adjourned for second day without business - Dec 02, 2011
- No decision on Somnath Chatterjee: Buddhadeb - Apr 24, 2011
- Basu's birth anniversary celebrated across Bengal - Jul 08, 2011
- Go Manmohan, says opposition after WikiLeaks expose (Intro-Roundup) - Mar 17, 2011
- Bengal industry minister meets Somnath Chatterjee - Jun 21, 2011
- NDA to back Left in parliament over price rise - Nov 20, 2011
- Mamata visits Somnath Chatterjee - May 18, 2011
- Congress should answer why allies named Manmohan: Left - Jun 14, 2012
- Somnath gets campaign call from CPI-M minister - Apr 14, 2011
- No-confidence motion moved against Meghalaya government - Sep 12, 2011
Tags: chatterjee, communist party of india, confidence motion, constituency, CPI, dictatorship, high time, left parties, Lok Sabha, mamata banerjee, mp, political circles, progressive alliance, trinamool congress chief, west bengal