Mamata rules out SEZ for InfosysFebruary 27th, 2012 - 6:06 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Feb 27 (IANS) Pledging all-out support to Infosys in establishing its facility in West Bengal, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Monday said her government would, however, not grant SEZ status to the IT major as her party was in principle opposed to creation of SEZs.
“We are against setting up of SEZ. We will remain firm on our stand. We are against forceful land acquisition. We want Infosys to establish its facility in the state. We will help them in all possible ways but I cannot call it SEZ,” Banerjee said in an interview telecast on three Bengali news channels.
“Because we have made the law that we will not allow SEZ in the state so we cannot twist the law for a specific corporate house. We will give them all help and facilities. If possible, we can also provide them with facilities that they get under the status of SEZ,” she said.
“But on the question of principle we cannot make an SEZ as we have created a land policy where we have clearly stated that we are against SEZ,” she said.
Infosys purchased 50 acres of land for the project in Rajarhat, on the northeastern fringes of the city, for Rs.1.5 crore per acre for the project. The company also made the payment in full in October last year.
Recently, it had written a letter to Housing Infrastructure Development Corporation (HIDCO) seeking clarification on its SEZ status in the state.
So far, there are four IT SEZs in the state - Wipro, Unitech, DLF and Bantala IT SEZ.
- Want Infosys in Bengal, but won't bend rules: Mamata - Mar 12, 2012
- All help for facility but no SEZ, Bengal tells Infosys - Feb 25, 2012
- We can't change our anti-SEZ stand: Mamata - Apr 27, 2012
- Bengal against SEZs, minister tells Infosys - Feb 20, 2012
- Wipro to expand Kolkata project - Aug 27, 2012
- Infosys seeks 'alterative solution' for Bengal campus - Feb 29, 2012
- Buddhadeb hits out at Trinamool over Infosys imbroglio - Aug 05, 2012
- Bengal minister meets Infosys top brass on stalled project - Sep 07, 2012
- Bengal government awaiting response on concessions to Infosys - Jun 20, 2012
- At Birla marriage anniversary, Mamata talks business - Apr 29, 2012
- Open to probe on land acquisition: Bengal minister - Nov 23, 2010
- Infosys inks deal with West Bengal for 50-acre campus - Nov 23, 2010
- I am hopeful about Infosys Kolkata project: Narayan Murthy - Aug 03, 2012
- Mamata fights for Kolkata farmers' land - Nov 13, 2010
- Bengal minister challenges Trinamool on land acquisition - Nov 17, 2010
Tags: acre, bengali news, chief minister, clarification on, crore, dlf, fringes, infosys, infrastructure development, kolkata, land acquisition, mamata banerjee, news channels, principle, rajarhat, rs 1, sezs, west bengal