Mamata, Pranab stranded as helicopter runs out of fuelApril 19th, 2009 - 5:28 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 19 (IANS) Congress heavyweight Pranab Mukherjee and Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee, who kickstarted their joint Lok Sabha poll campaign Sunday, were stranded at the northern West Bengal town of Balurghat after their helicopter ran out of fuel.
Mukherjee and Banerjee, who held their first joint meeting at Balurghat, were stranded for over one-and-half hours as the authorities rushed in fuel from nearby Malda.
“After landing in Balurghat, the pilot told the duo that the copter needed refuelling, and he will fly it again after that. So, after the meeting, the two leaders had to wait in the town,” an aide of Mukherjee told IANS.
Another source claimed that the fuel stock in the helicopter got depleted as it had to hover in the sky for over 45 minutes before landing in Balaurghat as the Air Traffic Control delayed giving landing permission. But the aide did not confirm this.
- Pranab, Mamata meet to discuss alliance - Mar 15, 2011
- Am ready to talk to Mamata if she is ready: Pranab - Jul 09, 2012
- Pranab, Mamata seat-sharing meet inconclusive - Mar 16, 2011
- Trinamool, Congress to launch joint campaign: Mamata - Apr 04, 2011
- Mamata to meet Sonia on presidential choice Wednesday (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Mamata meets Pranab Mukherjee, discuss budget session strategy - Feb 05, 2011
- Mamata to meet Sonia on presidential polls Wednesday - Jun 12, 2012
- Men who will matter in Mamata's Bengal - May 13, 2011
- Countdown to Mamata's dramatic announcement - Jun 13, 2012
- Pranab, Mamata joint rallies draw huge crowds in West Bengal - Apr 19, 2009
- Pranab, Mamata discuss Bengal law and order, alliance - Jan 10, 2011
- Pranab Mukherjee is Congress's first choice for president (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Contest imminent if Congress goes ahead with Pranab: Trinamool - Jun 14, 2012
- Pranab, Mamata meet on seat-sharing inconclusive (Lead) - Mar 16, 2011
- Poll campaigning peaks in north Bengal districts - Apr 13, 2011
Tags: air traffic control, authorities, copter, fly, half hours, helicopter, lok sabha poll, malda, mamata banerjee, pilot, poll campaign, pranab mukherjee, sky, stock, trinamool congress chief, west bengal