Mamata government to give civic reception to presidentAugust 23rd, 2012 - 11:57 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 23 (IANS) In a bid to bury the bitter happenings round the presidential polls, the West Bengal government has decided to hounour President Pranab Mukherjee with a “civic reception” next month, a senior party MP said Thursday.
“Civic reception for honorable President Pranab Mukherjee by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee… (on)14th September at Netaji Indoor stadium,” Trinamool Congress MP Kunal Ghosh tweeted.
The relationship between two political stalwarts from Bengal had reached an all-time low after West Bengal Chief Minister and Trinamool supremo Mamata Banerjee initially opposed Mukherjee’s candidature for the presidential poll.
Banerjee instead proposed former president A.P.J Abdul Kalam’s name for the post.
But after Kalam decided against contesting, Banerjee went silent on whom her party would back until she made a dramatic u-turn and extended her support to Mukherjee.
- Mamata telephones Pranab to congratulate him, to attend swearing-in - Jul 22, 2012
- Congress MP mocks Mamata over Kalam's backout - Jun 18, 2012
- Trinamool calls Mulayam a 'traitor', hopes for consensus on Kalam - Jun 15, 2012
- Graft eroding public trust in politicians: Mamata - Jun 19, 2012
- GJM to go with Trinamool on presidential poll - Jun 28, 2012
- Left intellectual questions call for consensus on Pranab - Jun 20, 2012
- Congress for consensus over confrontation on presidential poll - Jun 14, 2012
- Mitra meets Pranab, says discussions incomplete - Jun 11, 2012
- Mamata to meet Sonia on presidential choice Wednesday (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Petrol prices will be raised after presidential poll: Mamata - Jun 29, 2012
- Met Sonia over presidential poll: Mulayam - Jun 16, 2012
- Mamata to meet Sonia on presidential polls Wednesday - Jun 12, 2012
- Mulayam remains mum as Samajwadi Party keeps everyone guessing - Jun 15, 2012
- Kalam hails Mamata's leadership qualities, honesty - Jun 19, 2012
- Would desperate Mamata be able to save face in another battle? (West Bengal newsletter) - Jul 14, 2012
Tags: 14th september, abdul kalam, candidature, chief minister, civic reception, congress, former president, ghosh, honorable president, kolkata, kunal, mamata banerjee, mp, pranab mukherjee, presidential poll, presidential polls, relationship, stalwarts, u turn, west bengal government