Mamata donates Rs.1 crore to government for relief fundMay 21st, 2011 - 8:15 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 21 (IANS) West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Saturday donated Rs.1 crore, raised by selling her paintings, to the state government and said the money will go to the relief fund.
“As there is dearth of funds of the state government, I had earlier said Rs.1 crore, raised by selling my paintings, would be given to the government. So, today I am giving the money to the government. I am handing over the cheque to the chief secretary. The amount will go to the relief fund,” Banerjee told a press conference at the Writers’ Buildings here.
A total of 100 paintings by Banerjee were displayed at an art gallery in Kolkata in the first week of April. The artworks were later sold to raise funds for Trinamool Congress’ campaign in the assembly polls.
Christened ‘25 Hours A Day’, the collection was showcased for three days at Galerie 88.
Banerjee also said: “Today (Saturday), I held talks with the officials of the land reform, power and agriculture departments. I had a detailed discussion. I understood that for a long time there has been no work in those departments.”
She stated that efficiency and effectiveness would be the key words for the state government employees.
“It is not only giving government orders, but policy implementation is important,” she added.
- Mamata's paintings to be auctioned - Apr 05, 2011
- Mamata in office on weekend too - May 21, 2011
- Mamata foots bill for office renovation - May 30, 2011
- Mamata's paintings fetch Rs.60 lakh - Apr 05, 2011
- Bihar procures record paddy but farmers' cheques bounce - Apr 07, 2012
- Mamata to seek Rs.500 crore more for quake-hit Darjeeling - Oct 11, 2011
- West Bengal to provide Rs.33 crore fertilizer subsidy - Aug 26, 2011
- Mamata gives Centre 15-day ultimatum on tax moratorium (Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Mamata takes on centre, Left over fuel price hike (West Bengal Newsletter) - Jul 28, 2012
- Will raise money if finance ministry doesn't help: Trivedi - Feb 17, 2012
- Don't pay money to anyone misusing party's name: Mamata - Aug 21, 2011
- Mamata backtracks; says it was an appeal, not ultimatum - Apr 24, 2012
- Marginal gain for culture in budget (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- CPI-M accuses Trinamool of using black money, Trinamool hits back (Lead) - Apr 16, 2011
- Mamata for electoral reforms, cash-free polls - Aug 14, 2012
Tags: 1 crore, 100 paintings, agriculture departments, art gallery, artworks, assembly polls, cheque, chief minister, chief secretary, congress campaign, dearth, efficiency, government orders, key words, land reform, mamata banerjee, policy implementation, state government employees, trinamool congress, west bengal