Mamata challenges Buddhadeb to fight polls from LalgarhOctober 30th, 2010 - 12:26 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Oct 29 (IANS) Trinamool Congress chief and Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee Friday challenged West Bengal Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee to fight the upcoming assembly elections from the Maoist-affected Lalgarh region.
“Let the chief minister of West Bengal contest the assembly elections from Lalgarh. Let us see who wins and in whose favour people vote. It is an open challenge. If the chief minister thinks that common people of Lalgarh are with him then let him fight elections from both Lalgarh and Jadavpur constituency,” Mamata Banerjee said in an interview to a Bengali news channel.
The Lalgarh region in West Midnapore district has been in the headlines for the last two years as it had turned into a Maoist bastion, and joint forces have been conducting intense operations in the area to flush out the Left wing ultras.
“The common people of Lalgarh are fed up with the atrocities of CPI-M,” added Banerjee.
The Trinamool Congress chief has been demanding withdrawal of the joint forces from the insurgency hit areas of Bengal, stating that the ruling Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) was using the joint forces as a shield to regain its political base in the region.
Maoists are active in three western districts of West Bengal - Purulia, West Midnapore, Bankura.
- Mamata terms CPI-M 'cowards' - Oct 07, 2010
- CPI-M killing people in name of Maoists: Mamata - Oct 23, 2010
- Violence, killings down in Maoist areas, says Mamata - Jun 29, 2012
- Maoists should be thrown out of West Bengal: Buddhadeb - Oct 02, 2010
- It's Buddha versus Mamata again in Bengal - Feb 29, 2012
- West Bengal polls enter fifth phase Saturday - May 06, 2011
- Mamata demands pull back of forces from Lalgarh - Sep 25, 2010
- Mamata upset with people rebuffing Maoists: CPI-M - Oct 05, 2010
- Mamata hints at unleashing joint forces against Maoists - Nov 04, 2011
- Maoists end ceasefire; Mamata says joint forces operation on - Nov 15, 2011
- Trinamool misled rural Bengal: Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee - Apr 30, 2011
- Trinamool wins in Bengal's political flashpoints - May 16, 2011
- Mamata again seeks joint forces out of Maoist-hit areas - Oct 19, 2010
- CPI-M using police to manipulate voters: Mamata - May 05, 2011
- Maoists using CPI-M guns to kill: Mamata - Sep 20, 2011
Tags: assembly elections, bankura, bastion, bengali news channel, chief minister, common people, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, kolkata, mamata banerjee, maoist, maoists, midnapore district, open challenge, purulia, railway minister, ruling communist party, trinamool congress chief, west bengal