Mamata Banerjee condoles Mehdi Hassan’s deathJune 13th, 2012 - 7:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 13 (IANS) West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee expressed deep anguish at the death of legendary Pakistani singer Mehdi Hassan, who died Wednesday after a prolonged illness. She said with his death “we have lost a true cultural ambassdor of India and Pakistan”.
“I am deeply anguished to learn of the sad demise of India-born lengedary ghazal singer Mehdi Hassan after serious illness at Karachi today,” she said in an official statement released Wednesday.
“Endowed with a golden voice, Mehdi Hassan had to go through trials and tribulations very early in life. But it was his sheer passion for music that made him the ‘The Emperor of Ghazals’ in the sub continent,” Banerjee said.
“Hassan leaves behind a rich legacy and a treasure trove of beautiful melodies. With his death we have lost a true cultural ambassador of India and Pakistan.”
“The music lovers of West Bengal solemnly pay heartfelt condolence and pray to Allah to provide enough strength to the family members and close associates of the legendary singer to bear his irreparable loss,” she added in the statement.
Hassan, known for ghazals like “Ranjish hi sahi”, “Patta patta, boota boota”, passed away at Karachi’s Agha Khan Hospital after a prolonged illness. He was 84.
His funeral will take place Friday.
- Mehdi Hassan to be laid to rest Friday - Jun 13, 2012
- Mehdi Hassan was outstanding: Lata Mangeshkar - Jun 13, 2012
- Bollywood remembers 'immortal' Mehdi Hassan - Jun 13, 2012
- Big B mourns ghazal singer Mehdi Hassan's death - Jun 14, 2012
- Ghazal maestro Mehdi Hassan is dead (Second Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Mehdi Hassan: end of golden era of ghazal (Obituary) - Jun 13, 2012
- Mohan Khan set to pay tribute to Mehdi Hassan (With Images) - Jul 11, 2012
- Ghazal maestro Mehdi Hassan is dead (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Alka Yagnik, Kumar Sanu visit Mehdi Hassan's grave in Karachi - Jun 17, 2012
- Kashmiri artists and ghazal lovers mourn Mehdi Hassan - Jun 13, 2012
- Flyover, park to be dedicated to Mehdi Hassan - Apr 25, 2011
- Mehdi Hassan - my immortal 'ghazal traash' (Tribute) - Jun 13, 2012
- Ghazal maestro Mehdi Hassan battling illness - Feb 08, 2011
- Pakistani ghazal singer Mehdi Hassan loses his memory - Nov 14, 2010
- Ali Zafar prays for Mehdi Hassan's good health - Jan 16, 2012
Tags: agha khan hospital, ambassdor, boota, chief minister, close associates, ghazal singer, golden voice, india and pakistan, irreparable loss, legendary singer, mamata banerjee, mehdi hassan, music lovers, pakistani singer, rich legacy, sad demise, sahi, sheer passion, treasure trove, west bengal