Mamata among Time’s 100 most influential peopleApril 18th, 2012 - 10:16 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 18 (IANS) Time magazine has listed West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee as one of the 100 most influential people in the world in its list for 2012, sharing space with the likes of US President Barack Obama and billionaire investor Warren Buffet.
The magazine has described the people in the list as “who inspire us, entertain us, challenge us and change our world”.
The list is topped by American basketball player Jeremy Shu-How Lin who plays for the New York Knicks of the National Basketball Association (NBA).
“Mamata Banerjee rose to the fore last year when she and a movement she built from the grassroots wrested control of her home state of West Bengal, ending three and a half decades of sclerotic communist rule.
“Banerjee, 57, spent years struggling on the margins, her Trinamool Congress Party a feisty rabble compared with the leviathan of West Bengal’s communists,” said the magazine about the leader.
Describing her achievements, the magazine goes on say: “On the streets, she out-Marxed the Marxists. And as chief minister of her home state, she has emerged as a populist woman of action - strident and divisive but poised to play an even greater role in the world’s largest democracy.”
The other Indian to feature in the list is Anjali Gopalan - the founder and executive director of The Naz Foundation (India) Trust, an NGO dedicated to the fight against the HIV/AIDS epidemic in India.
- Twitterati target Mamata regime for professor's arrest - Apr 13, 2012
- Marx and Engels not untouchables: Mamata - Apr 09, 2012
- Hillary expresses US desire to invest: Mamata - May 07, 2012
- CPI-M attacks Hillary's Kolkata visit - May 07, 2012
- Mamata's historic blunder (Comment) - Jun 16, 2012
- Clinton in Delhi to meet PM, Sonia - May 07, 2012
- Trinamool shielding scamsters: BJP - Nov 30, 2011
- Ahead of Clinton's visit, US ambassador calls on Mamata - Apr 30, 2012
- Left rout 'historic verdict', says Mamata (Second Lead) - May 13, 2011
- 'Hillary visiting Kolkata as Mamata government US' favourite' - May 06, 2012
- Mamata attends UPA coordination panel meet - Aug 22, 2012
- Trimming 'excess' of Marxism in favour of globalisation (West Bengal Newsletter) - Apr 08, 2012
- Congress challenges Trinamool on inter-party clashes' data - Jul 10, 2012
- Mamata vows to wipe out CPI-M in Burdwan - Dec 06, 2010
- Hillary, Mamata likely to discuss FDI, Teesta treaty - May 05, 2012
Tags: american basketball player, barack obama, billionaire, chief minister, communist rule, communists, congress party, hiv aids epidemic, leviathan, mamata banerjee, marxists, national basketball association, naz, new york knicks, rabble, shu, state of west bengal, time magazine, warren buffet, woman of action