Mamata alleges CPI-M sponsored violence in West BengalMay 7th, 2009 - 8:34 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 7 (IANS) Accusing the ruling Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) of “state-sponsored terrorism”, West Bengal’s main opposition party Trinamool Congress Thursday called upon the people to stand up and protest against the “atrocities” by Left parties.
“Despite violence by the CPI-M cadres, we will get a very good response in the ballot box in the fourth-phase election. The CPI-M will be defeated,” Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee told reporters here.
She said the CPI-M activists had terrorised villagers in East Midnapore’s Nandigram so that voters cannot exercise their franchise.
“The election was totally a state-sponsored terrorism. I ask people to stand up and protest against the CPI-M atrocity. If people cannot stop them, this CPI-M party will continue to create trouble for people living in this state,” she said.
“If this poll was conducted in a peaceful way, the CPI-M could not win a single seat in this general election,” Banerjee said, terming the CPI-M as “shameless” for the poll violence that rocked troubled Nandigram, Burdwan district’s Asansol, Kolkata’s neighbouring Howrah and Murshidabad district.
- Jobs for party workers killed by CPI-M when Trinamool wins: Mamata - Sep 18, 2010
- Four killed, 75 percent polling in West Bengal (Fourth Lead) - May 07, 2009
- High turnout in Bengal; Singur, Nandigram vote (Intro Roundup) - May 03, 2011
- CPI-M demands release of its jailed Bengal ex-MP - Jun 05, 2012
- Trinamool passes popularity test, with twin failures (West Bengal newsletter) - Jun 09, 2012
- Let Congress decide on alliance: Mamata - Nov 19, 2011
- Poll panel verifies list of homeless after violence - Feb 13, 2011
- Crucial rural Bengal areas in Tuesday's fourth phase polls - May 02, 2011
- Timeline of Left Front government in West Bengal - May 13, 2011
- Former CPI-M MP's son shot dead in Bengal - May 10, 2012
- Trinamool wins in Bengal's political flashpoints - May 16, 2011
- High turnout in Bengal; Singur, Nandigram vote (Roundup) - May 03, 2011
- Peaceful voting in fourth round of West Bengal polls (Third Lead) - May 03, 2011
- Congress must say if it is with us or Marxists: Trinamool - Jan 09, 2012
- Mamata asks voters to elect TMC for betterment of West Bengal - Apr 30, 2011
Tags: asansol, atrocity, ballot box, burdwan district, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, congress chief, CPI, fourth phase, howrah, kolkata, left parties, main opposition party, mamata banerjee, midnapore, murshidabad district, poll violence, ruling communist party, state sponsored terrorism, west bengal