Mamata acting in an immature manner: Justice KatjuApril 18th, 2012 - 10:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 18 (IANS) West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee is not acting in a mature manner by cracking down on her critics and must learn to take criticism in her stride, said Press Council of India (PCI) chairperson Markandey Katju Wednesday.
“She (Mamata) is not acting in a mature manner. I think she should behave in a more mature manner. She is not a street fighter … she is a chief minister. The manner in which she has behaved is totally unacceptable in a democracy. She must learn to be an administrator,” Katju said while talking to women journalists at the Indian Women’s Press Corps here.
According to Katju, the chief minister should take criticism in a positive way.
“She must learn democratic way of functioning. In a democracy you should not mind criticism. Mamata Banerjee must learn to restrain and to act in a mature manner,” he said.
The PCI head did praise Banerjee for her personal integrity. “I respect her as I have heard nothing (adverse) about her personal integrity, which is a big thing, but on the other side she must learn to take criticism in her stride.”
The West Bengal government arrested a Jadavpur University professor last week for allegedly posting a cartoon on the internet showing Banerjee in poor light.
On the issue of the state government restricting newspapers in the libraries, Katju said: “I have already written a letter to the state government. If your children will not study English then they will only ride bullock carts.”
“You cannot do anything without knowing English. I am not saying that you should not learn Hindi, but English is important,” he added.
- PCI chief Katju praises Mamata - May 12, 2012
- Toongate professor awarded compensation - Aug 13, 2012
- Press Council chief slams sedition charge against cartoonist - Sep 10, 2012
- Don't treat Sunny Leone as outcast: Katju - Jan 10, 2012
- States warned against infringing on press freedom - Feb 03, 2012
- Plea in SC seeks action against Mamata (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Mamata loses cool, walks out of TV programme - May 19, 2012
- Contempt plea against Mamata on judiciary remarks (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- No press freedom in Bihar, says Katju - Feb 24, 2012
- I don't love to see negative stories: Mamata - Aug 24, 2012
- 'Media should hold a mirror to itself' - Nov 06, 2011
- Mamata Banerjee: A study in contrast (One year of Mamata) - May 20, 2012
- Toongate: Mamata lashes out against professor, calls it cyber crime - May 12, 2012
- Partial fascism or right move - Bengal divided on Mamata's act - Apr 14, 2012
- Anger in Bengal over professor's arrest (Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,