Malik begins hunger strike, protests in SrinagarAugust 5th, 2008 - 4:33 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Aug 5 (IANS) Pro-independence Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) chairman Yasin Malik Tuesday began an indefinite fast here against alleged harassment of Muslims in parts of Jammu and “economic blockade against the Kashmir Valley”. Malik began his fast near the JKLF headquarters at Maisuma where a 22-year-old protester died Monday when a tear smoke shell fired by the police hit him in the chest.
The JKLF chairman Monday said he was concerned over the continuing violence in Jammu and alleged that the “administration was hand in glove with extremist elements”.
As Malik began his fast, parts of the summer capital of the state witnessed violent protests against the killing of the youth.
the police fired scores of tear smoke shells and resorted to repeated baton charges to quell violence in Maisuma, city centre Lal Chowk, Bohri Kadal, Hawal, Khanayar and Munwarabad in the old city.
Shouting anti-Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and pro-freedom slogans, Kashmir’s bar association took out a procession here Tuesday afternoon.
Groups of youths also took out processions in parts of the uptown and old city areas.
Shops remained closed in most parts of Srinagar where police and paramilitary forces have been deployed in strength.
A report from south Kashmir Pulwama town said groups of stone pelting youths forced closure of shops and traffic in the town this morning.
- Yasin Malik begins fast against detention of youths - Feb 26, 2011
- Five hurt in police firing in Srinagar - Aug 30, 2010
- JKLF protests Kashmir 'killings, arrests', Malik detained - Mar 11, 2011
- JKLF members clash with police in Srinagar - Feb 10, 2012
- Protests, clashes in Sringar over youth's killing (Lead) - Feb 01, 2010
- Protest over Yaseen Malik's arrest turns violent in Jammu and Kashmir - Apr 29, 2011
- Police baton charge protesters in Srinagar - Jan 21, 2012
- Five wounded in police firing in Srinagar (Lead) - Aug 30, 2010
- Protests, shutdown in Srinagar over youth's death - Feb 01, 2010
- Religious leader killed in Srinagar blast, city shuts down (Second Lead) - Apr 08, 2011
- 30 injured in day-long clashes in Srinagar (Second Lead) - Feb 01, 2010
- JKLF chief courts arrest with 50 activists - Jun 18, 2010
- Maulana opposed to stone throwing killed in Srinagar (Third Lead) - Apr 08, 2011
- Shutdown on JKLF founder's death anniversary - Feb 11, 2012
- 40 wounded in day-long Kashmir violence - Feb 02, 2010
Tags: baton charges, bharatiya janata party, bjp, bohri, chowk, city areas, economic blockade, extremist elements, hand in glove, hawal, hunger strike, jammu, kadal, kashmir, kashmir valley, liberation front, paramilitary forces, south kashmir, violent protests, yasin malik