Malicious misinformation that Congress is not tackling graft: SoniaDecember 21st, 2011 - 7:30 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 21 (IANS) Taking on social activist Anna Hazare and his team, Congress party chief Sonia Gandhi Wednesday said there was a “deliberate and malicious misinformation” campaign that the Congress was not tackling corruption.
Speaking to party MPs, Gandhi mentioned the anti-graft legislations the party-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government has passed and intends to pass in coming days.
“Three bills with major implications are to be passed soon,” she said, listing those on protection of whistleblowers, enhancing judicial accountability, the citizens right to grievance redressal, and the Lokpal bill.
The Lokpal bill is to be tabled in parliament Thursday.
However, Hazare, speaking in his Ralegan-Siddhi village in Maharashtra, Wednesday again described the Lokpal bill as a betrayal of the people and said the legislation would in no way provide for a strong watch-dog institution in the fight against corruption.
Hazare wondered how the proposed bill could be described as strong when the CBI was being kept outside the ombudsman’s ambit.
He also said the “people will teach a lesson to this government one day”.
- Tough-talking Sonia says she will fight for Lokpal (Evening Lead) - Dec 21, 2011
- Lokpal bill in parliament Thursday, Sonia says she will fight for it (Roundup) - Dec 21, 2011
- Proposed Lokpal bill a weak legislation, says Hazare - Dec 21, 2011
- Confrontation looms as Lokpal report is tabled (Roundup) - Dec 09, 2011
- Anna set for fast, politicians hit back (Evening Lead) - Dec 26, 2011
- Rahul to blame for Lokpal flip-flop, says Anna - Dec 02, 2011
- Ralegan-Siddhi villagers back Hazare - Jul 29, 2012
- Anna set for fast, political class dubs him 'impatient' (Roundup) - Dec 26, 2011
- Anna set for fast, political class dubs him 'impatient' (Intro Roundup) - Dec 26, 2011
- Citizen's charter should be under Lokpal: Anna Hazare - Dec 14, 2011
- Government okays key anti-graft bills to counter Anna threat - Dec 14, 2011
- Anna issues ultimatum to Congress, battlelines drawn - Oct 05, 2011
- Lokpal panel should be allowed to do good job: Singhvi - Oct 04, 2011
- 'PM, Group C employees may be brought under Lokpal ambit' - Dec 12, 2011
- Hazare set for Mumbai fast, Delhi protest (Lead) - Dec 26, 2011
Tags: anna hazare, anti graft, betrayal, cbi, congress party, fight against corruption, grievance, judicial accountability, legislation, maharashtra, misinformation campaign, mps, New Delhi, ombudsman, parliament, party chief, progressive alliance, social activist, sonia gandhi, three bills