Malegaon blast accused to contest Uttar Pradesh polls

January 23rd, 2012 - 10:22 pm ICT by IANS  

Mumbai, Jan 23 (IANS) A key accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, Major (retd) Ramesh Upadhyay, will contest the Uttar Pradesh assemble polls from Bairia constituency, an official said here Monday.

Currently lodged in Taloja Central Jail in Raigad district of Maharashtra, the retired major’s son Vishal Upadhyay filed the nomination papers on his father’s behalf Monday.

“He had filed an application before the MCOCA (Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act) court seeking permission to sign the election nomination papers last week. It was was granted, so the rest of the things would follow,” Rohini Salian, special public prosecutor for the National Investigation Agency (NIA), told IANS.

Upadhyay, 60, is contesting on the ticket of the little-known political outfit Akhil Bharat Hindu Mahasabha.

He had been nabbed for involvement in the Sep 29 Malegaon blast in Nashik district which killed six and left over a 100 injured.

Upadhyay, along with at least 12 other accused, including Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur and Lt. Col. S.P. Purohit (who are also in jail), were charged with conspiring in the blast.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Politics |

Subscribe