Malegaon blast accused to contest Uttar Pradesh pollsJanuary 23rd, 2012 - 10:22 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 23 (IANS) A key accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, Major (retd) Ramesh Upadhyay, will contest the Uttar Pradesh assemble polls from Bairia constituency, an official said here Monday.
Currently lodged in Taloja Central Jail in Raigad district of Maharashtra, the retired major’s son Vishal Upadhyay filed the nomination papers on his father’s behalf Monday.
“He had filed an application before the MCOCA (Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act) court seeking permission to sign the election nomination papers last week. It was was granted, so the rest of the things would follow,” Rohini Salian, special public prosecutor for the National Investigation Agency (NIA), told IANS.
Upadhyay, 60, is contesting on the ticket of the little-known political outfit Akhil Bharat Hindu Mahasabha.
He had been nabbed for involvement in the Sep 29 Malegaon blast in Nashik district which killed six and left over a 100 injured.
Upadhyay, along with at least 12 other accused, including Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur and Lt. Col. S.P. Purohit (who are also in jail), were charged with conspiring in the blast.
- Malegaon blast: NIA to interrogate accused army officer - Jul 19, 2011
- Court gives bail to nine in 2006 Malegaon blasts case - Nov 05, 2011
- Malegaon blast case: Supreme Court to hear Sadhvi Pragya 's appeal - Oct 04, 2010
- High court grants bail to two Malegaon blast accused - Aug 03, 2011
- Malegaon blast: Chargesheet against Pravin Mutalik - Apr 22, 2011
- Pragya Thakur arrested in Madhya Pradesh murder case - Feb 26, 2011
- Sadhvi seeks special travel facility for court hearing - Jan 23, 2012
- Maharashtra ATS arrest Mutalik in Malegaon blast case - Feb 01, 2011
- Army officer refused bail in Malegaon blast case - Nov 10, 2011
- Malegaon blast case: Bombay HC brings backs MCOCA charge against Sadhvi Pragya - Jul 19, 2010
- SC curbs on NIA questioning Sadhvi Pragya (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- Malegaon blast: Purohit's custodial interrogation put off - Mar 21, 2012
- Jailed Malegaon blast accused allowed AC train travel (Lead) - Feb 09, 2012
- Sadhvi Pragyna seeks protection in jail - Nov 03, 2011
- Sadhvi Pragnya files fresh bail plea - Nov 18, 2011
Tags: bharat, central jail, constituency, crime act, hindu, investigation agency, lt, malegaon blast, national investigation, nomination papers, political outfit, polls, public prosecutor, purohit, thakur, upadhyay, vishal